Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona Ex 3.5L V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove the original starter motor (burnt). I've managed to remove the bolts for the heat shield, but unable to removal the head shield. What do I do next?

Thank you for your expertise!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you remove the 10mm nut at the end of the heat shield??? There are 2 10mm bolts on the front and the 1 10mm nut that hold the heat shield on. Then the shield should slide off toward the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2006 Sportage
408 Posts
like cdavis said, 3 fasteners in total. Sometimes its snug pulling the cover out but it does come out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've managed to take the 3 fasteners off. So the shield is loose. I tried unsuccessfully to use a rubber mallet to get the darn thing off.....no success. Twist, turn, pry.....no remedy.

My next option, I thought, maybe if I remove the 2 starter bolts...I can find some room to wiggle it loose. Still unable to remove shield and starter.

If I continue to fail, do you recommend that I remove the exhaust pipe so I can remove the shield and starter?

Another question is how do I remove the 2 wire connectors, I fear I may damage them trying during removal

Thanks for your continued help!

·
Registered
2006 Sportage
408 Posts
try loosening the starter bolts, it may give you enough room to get it out, like i said, its tight. There should only be a single wire connector on it, it should have a small tab that you push down then pull out and the other wire is the battery cable. Try to avoid removing the exhaust, it opens up a can of worms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With your help and a little more persistence.....I was successful in removing the shield along with the starter! Wish me luck on the replacement install.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi timster

this has happened to me now, going to try and get mine off tomorrow, how di your re fit go , did you use the kit of e bay and was it succesfull?

thanks

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
1 Posts
Argh! I know this is an ancient thread, but I am struggling with this relatively simple job. How many bolts hold the starter on? I got the heat shield off, I had to drop the exhaust to get the shield out, pulled out both bolts holding on the starter - one in plain sight on the underside and the other one on the very top of the starter. Now the starter just won't come out. Some sites online talk about three bolts, but I am looking at the replacement starter and there are only two holes. Am I missing something? I have banged on it with a hammer, I have driven a little wedge up in an appropriate spot (non-mating surface), and I can get it to come apart by a few millimeters, but as soon as I take that wedge out, the gap closes back up again. It's like I'm missing a bolt, but the two bolts are in my hand. Is it possible for the gear on the starter to get jammed on the flywheel and hold the starter in place?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts