Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia and its Sedona, not a good choice for me. I have a Kia Sedona LX 2003 that was purchased in April of 2003. The van is 26 months old and has 93,966 miles of which 60% are highway miles. I use the van for my business in sales and some light hauling of goods.

Like many people car shopping in today’s climate two key components came to mind, economics and quality. Point one was economics. Although the initial cost to purchase the Sedona was economical, as compared to other like choices and its $19,000 price tag, it has become an endless money pit to say the least and a huge headache. I think I could have purchased a Mercedes that would have cost more up front, but would cost less to drive over the long haul. Point two was quality. The quality seemed exist through Kia’s good advertising, good rating in crash tests and its 100,000 mile as advertised warranty. With all the issues I have incurred with the van and dealer troubles (all listed below) it’s fair to say quality is not the top priority. The 100,000 mile warranty is a great selling point but that’s about it. If one does not read the fine print and abide by the strict guidelines, as to scheduled services, the warranty is null and void regarding those areas or parts. Don't be fooled by the bumper to bumper coverage because it does not exsist. Example, the timing belt must be changed at 60,000 miles, as told by the service man after the fact of having this problem, at Folger Kia in Charlotte, NC. If it is not changed then all related issues due to not changing the timing belt will not be covered by the warranty. Never was I informed by the dealer or Kia of such service prior to having this problem. I did have the van serviced at 61,000 for oil and tires and nothing was mentioned about the timing belt change at that point. In comparison to my Mitsubishi Montero Limited and a Chevy Silverado, I have never had any problems with warranty work, or non-work, from either of them. No questions asked "we'll fix it" and it will be covered. Both warranties were plain, simple and straight forward. Any question I had or work that needed to be done, concerning warranty work, was done without question and without cost to me.

One thing to keep in mind is regular service work. The cost of service work and other “mandatory” service work is outrageous. I guess they try to get the money out of you in the service fees instead of the purchase price. I’m not sure if it’s just this area or if it’s the dealers that the costs seem to be high. Just a regular oil change, lubrication and tire rotation is $46.00 with the Kia. My Mitsubishi Montero Limited, the same service is only $25.00. To date I have spent $2692 on work that should have fallen under the 100,000 mile warranty which was not covered by Kia. This excludes regular oil changes, tire rotations, lubrications and such. The $2692 comes only from work, that in my opinion, should have been covered by the warranty. These costs also exclude the $3600 estimate for a new catalytic converter and related parts that the dealer says needs to be replaced. I have refused to install thses parts. I will run the lemon until it expires (blows up, which should not take too long the way it’s going).

Issues listed below:
1.Driver seat armrest loose, would not stay in the up position.Warranty covered. 23,541 miles.
2.Rear part of headliner came unglued. Warranty covered. 31,996 miles.
3.Defrost button did not work. Warranty covered. 31,996 miles.
4.Chiming sound when making right turns. Warranty did not cover. 75,211 miles.
5.Engine light on. Evaporation leak. Warranty did not cover. 75,211 miles.
6.Engine light on. Mass air flow sensor low input failure, replace. Warranty did not cover. Later found that part was not needed to fix problem. Also found this not to be the cause for the engine light being on. Timing belt was the issue. 80,067 miles. Warranty did not cover.
7.Vehicle cut off while driving, timing belt jumped off, starter seize, further damage may result in engine. Warranty did not cover. 82,477 miles.
8.Timing belt off again. Later found that part was not installed correctly. 82,477 miles.
9.Engine light on. Mass air flow sensor shorted. Warranty did not cover. 82,477 miles.
10.Began to idol really rough. Needs new catalytic converter and related parts, $3600 estimated. Warranty would not cover. 93,966 miles.
11.Accelerator cable replaced. Warranty covered. 93,966 miles.

12.Air condition will not turn on, have to play with switch for it to work.
13.Continuous clicking noise coming from front wheel. Dealers have not been able to figure what problem is coming from.
14.Lug nut left off during regular service. Replaced and charged for lug nut.

I have used two different dealers for the above mentioned service work. Folger Kia in Charlotte, NC and Paramount Kia in Mooresville, NC. Folger Kia was the dealer which installed the timing belt incorrectly and replaced the mass air flow sensor which did not need replacing. These problems were found by the service department at Paramount Kia and they are the ones which reinstalled the timing belt correctly and said the mass air flow sensor did not need to be replaced. Paramount has worked with me as much as possible.

When the timing belt jumped off (issue 7 above) Folger Kia did the initial work. Folger called me and stated that belt had come off and there might be further damage to the engine. But, before any more work was to be done I would have to pay for what they had done so far. Discussed by Folger’s attitude I had the van toad to Paramount Kia. Paramount did charge back the “wrong” work done by Folger to Folger and left me to pay the balance for what Paramount had done to get the van running. Folger was the dealer where the van was purchased.

In summation the Sedona has cost me roughly an extra $104 per month just to drive the thing. This does not include the estimated $3600 for a new catalytic converter and related parts which would increase the monthly total to $242. If you include the $3600 and the $2692, total of $6292 for work done, or needed to be done to this 26 month old van, the total cost just to keep it running would come to 33% of the total cost paid to buy the Sedona in roughly two years time. All for work that should have been covered by the totally miss leading 100,000 mile warranty as it is currently advertised. These costs exclude fuel, oil changes, lubrication, tire rotations and any regular maintenance. I will not purchase another Kia nor will I offer any good remarks to anyone that would ask me about my Kia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To answer your question on the clicking noise, NO!! Still have it. This van is not a diesel.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I feel that most of your problems were related to the same thing which was not diagnosed correctly initially... why was the timing belt not changed at 60,000 miles?

I prefered having my 1990 volvo 740GLT 16v financially I paid £4000 had it for 5 years and spent £100 - £150 a year on servicing and MOT. I bought it at 150,000 miles and part exchanged it at 200,000 miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never had such an issue with any other cars before as to timing belt. Just never really thought about having to change the timing belt. When the dealer did say something about changing it, of course it was after the fact of it coming off, the cost to change it was crazy. I think in the neighorhood of $700. Thought that was really high, but hey its a Kia!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I knew I shouldn't have read these posts in this forum because I knew there would probably be some negative news. But, when I purchased my new 2005 Sedona I wanted to make sure I at least had some knowledge about other people's experiences. So, in a strange way... thanks for the info!

I think what I will do is print this article out and show it to my sales rep who sold me the Kia last weekend. I want him to forward it to his service department and I want to warn them right from the start that this is not something I want to face in the future and I want to make clear to them what I need to do to avoid the same situation.

You know, why don't you send a copy of your post to the CEO of Kia. I'm sure he/she would LOVE to know how your experience is going!

;)

Of course, maybe you got a lemon? Also, isn't there the lemon law agreement you signed? I remember seeing that when I was signing all the paperwork.

My plans are to talk to the sales rep AND the service manager where I purchased the vehicle and get all my plans laid out BEFORE anything goes wrong. I don't like surprises. For instance, the timing belt and stuff like that.

I am sorry to hear about all your problems. I feel your pain because I have a 2002 Honda Civic that's been in the shop more than it's been on the road. Problem with Honda was it only had a 3 year, 36k warranty which I burned up in a year and a half. Now I have 115,000 on it and it's ready for the junk yard. Nothing but problems and I won't go into detail. I swore I would never buy another Honda product as long as I lived. People are surprised to hear this about a Honda but again, I might have just got a lemon. And no, I don't recall the lemon law paperwork with the Honda. Plus, it all happened so quick and I put so many miles on it so fast the lemon law wouldn't have applied to me I bet. When the warranty is up, the manufacturer won't play the game anymore.

Well, enough for now. I think this weekend my sales rep is getting a call along with the service manager. In fact, I am going up in person. Thanks for all your details, it really got me thinking of "future" issues and how to handle them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your problem looks to me as a poor serviced vehicle, what i meen about that is that poorly trained personnel at the dealer. The problem is that normaly you have if you are lucky one or two top mecanics in a shop depending on the size of the dealer of course. The rest of them are the ones that will go from dealer to dealer (boss just could careless about them) because they suck. People make me laugh i took it to the dealer they must know what they are doing. I must tell you if you want good service, go to a independant that has

1 Mitchel on demand (computer shop manuel for all cars)
2 Make sure your tech has at least 15 year experience
3 Look at his yard are the same cars staying there for long periods? (avoid)
4 Make sure he is comfortable with electronics (can read a wiring diagram with no problem)
5 The other shops in town send them there
6 Follow a maintenance program (He will have it on his computer)
7 If you find this guy treat him as a god!

Kia is new to the US and Canada it will take sometime to get a tech trained to be truly a top gun.

If you look at other makes (ford,gm,chrysler) you can not tell me they are better,
i dont recomend any of these makes anymore, i tell my customer to buy asian!
Gm small car are made in korea anyway with 3 year 60000km waranty.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
71 Posts
OMG ... talk about lack of service!

Q. If you took your sedona in for it's 60k service and the garage stamped and marked up the service book, yet they failed to change a part that was listed on the 60k schedule - can't they be held accountable? Is the service book stamped/marked/dated by the dealership?

Fiona

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do Kia's actually have a parts schedule listed for check/maintenance/replacement, etc., at specific 1k mile checks? Is this listed in the service book (or by work sheets for specific 1k mile checks at the garages of which you are given a copy?)

I know not all cars do, that's why I'm asking .... away to look in my service book ...

Fiona

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Kia service checklists list everything that must be checked, adjusted, lubricated or replaced at the 10k intervals.
Nothing on the list is listed as optional bar the pollen filter check, as not all models have them.
Service kits are issued according to mileage, and will contain every part that requires replacing, so if a part should've been replaced, and has not, then yes you can hold them accountable.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Sker1

What a post, my heart goes out to you.

I agree with Clarksonly, it does rather sound like the track rod ends but could it not be the rack & pinion?

I agree absolutely with what Fiona, ( Curlywurly ) and Murphwiz said in their posts.

The belt change is not optional at 60,000miles it has to be done, you don't need to know this, just told and charged.

Do not allow your Kia dealer to limit his liabilities or fob you off with associated problems crap.

They are accountable to you on this issue.

I know you have just about had it with your Kia but don't give up on this.

It seems odd asking you to make it that little easier for another Kia owner and their complaint but don't give in and that's what you'll make it.

It may seem I'm going to back-pedal here but I'm not.

Kia do not make a bad vehicle when it comes to what you get for your money
but what's the point of that when what you get desolves in your hands.

You only have to read the posts to realise there are some decent Kia dealers but they are very rare especially so in the UK.

In the last month I have been told by two Kia dealers they are ending their relationship with Kia.

These two dealers are relatively new to Kia but they can't take the heat.

There is an appalling lack of support and training given by Kia to its dealers but that's no excuse for indifference and bl**dy mindness shown by the dealers to their customers in the UK, Canada, USA and so on.

Another dealer told me that he has had 05 Sedona on his workshop for 10 weeks,
Why?, something to do with the steering and Kia not recognising a part fitted.

They had to take the steering apart, send some photo's to Kia UK, then send some more, ( 30 in all I think they said ), these were sent else where and finally the part was recognised as one of theirs,--------------but not in stock.

If I was the owner--------words fail me.

None of the above helps you Sker1, I just feel for you.

Don't give in, do some desk thumping.
Seacam

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dropped my sedona in for its 30,000 mile service today and asked whether the £559, 60,000 mile service included the timing belt change and was told yes.

so at least that is £500 saved for 18 months time. :) I mentioned the clicking noise too when I dropped it off. I felt quite embarrased as it is a right state full of rubbish from our journey home from up north.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have noticed that Asian cars generally make the timing belt a maintenance item, whereas North American cars generally do not make a timing belt a maintenance item. Don't know why.

Sorry to hear about the poor service you have received at your dealer. I have a 2003 Sedona, and the dealer here (Concept Kia in Calgary, Alberta) has been wonderful. Never had a problem with warranty coverage. My wife thumped a curb with the right front alloy wheel, and the dealer found a way to replace it under warranty (early corrosion of the alloys, allegedly).

I don't have the same mileage you do yet, only about 30k miles, so I suspect my maintenance experience wouldn't compare. I have had the usual teething problems on the alternator (undersized for severe winter conditions, replaced under warranty) and check engine light issues.

Hopefully the new dealer will be better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i was wondering if you found out what was causing the chimming on the right hand turns? It just started in my wifes van and I was worried because the brake light would come on as soon as it happened then would go off when the turn was completeed. Would this have to do withbrakes and low fluid?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts