Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the belt that goes to the Alternator a few days ago.
Then I received a call from my wife yesterday saying the car died.
I went and found that the belt had come off, and looks like it got hot.
Looking closely the crank pulley seemed to have a rubber outer layer where I expected to see metal grooves. The rubber area was smooth and as wide as the belt. The inner belt had the normal grooves for the serpentine belt but the outer part of the pulley had this rubber where it should have had grooves.
What's going on here?
I bought another belt and installed it but when starting the car with the AC on it began to smoke so we turned it off and I checked, adjusted tension and then started the car with the AC off.
It ran ok, but I'm very worried about this.
What am I looking at on that crank pulley?

·
Registered
2001 Sedona 2.9 SX TD-still going/Toyota Corolla-DEAD/Citroen Xsara-DEAD/Ducati/Suzuki Bergman
65 Posts
Sounds like you've lost your outer ring. The rubber is a damper and is bonded between the 2 rings.

Your AC pump has seized.. when you energize the AC pump the pulley turns the pump, in your case the pump is locked solid and the only thing the belt can do is scream and smoke its way around the pulley..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you've lost your outer ring. The rubber is a damper and is bonded between the 2 rings.

Your AC pump has seized.. when you energize the AC pump the pulley turns the pump, in your case the pump is locked solid and the only thing the belt can do is scream and smoke its way around the pulley..
Ok - that seems like a weird way to manufacture a pulley but I guess the only question is how do I fix it?
I suppose I have to buy a new pulley and replace the thing.
What kind of gotcha's will I face with that?
Pull the big nut off the front, then use a puller I suppose to remove the old one then put the new one on and then the two belts.
Sounds easy enough, anything I should be careful about? Anything that will bite me if I get it wrong?
Is there a good place to get the new pulley or do I just call up my local NAPA or O'Reilleys?

·
Registered
2001 Sedona 2.9 SX TD-still going/Toyota Corolla-DEAD/Citroen Xsara-DEAD/Ducati/Suzuki Bergman
65 Posts
Yep, you need a new pulley. Have a trawl through the forum to get tips on how to undo the crankshaft nut... it's tight..... Once the nut's off the pulley normally comes off without a puller.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, well I will see where I can get a new one in that case.
This looks like a good deal, it's the right one it seems - is that a good price or not?

Ebay Pulley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't everyone jump to answer at once now...
:)

I ordered the one on Ebay because they say they can get it to me by next Tuesday.
I need to drive the van to our friends on Wednesday for the extended 4th of July 'weekend' so I'd like to get the job done Tuesday after work.

I suppose that the reason my standard Gates belt was too loose to install is that the metal part of the pulley is gone therefore the circumference of the pulley is too small.

I actually fitted a 45 inch belt and it runs but I've told my wife not to activate AC, it would probably be a good idea to just pull the fuse for the AC so that it wouldn't be turned on accidentally.

The car runs with that belt just being turned by the rubbery bonding on the crank pulley - which is pretty amazing to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impact wrench not working.
I am at a friends and he doesn't have an AC so I bought an electric impact.
The thing isn't budging.
It is a standard thread, not backward right?
So I tried the trick in the video and the starter just turned a little then stopped.
I guess my battery isn't fully charged.
So I went and bought a charger.
Now the battery is charging, I will try again in a little while.
:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My AC seizes when activated.
For now I've pulled the relay, this will keep belts from melting and pulleys from separating.
It sure would be nice if a big dump truck would take the corner a little wide and run over this van while parked out on the street. But until that day I have to keep it running.
Now I need to replace the window motor on the drivers side, no AC and no window open is a bad combo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts