Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
44,000 miles and I believe the alternator has stopped charging the battery, just wondering if this is covered under warranty? I read somewhere that another owner was told they had to pay out $650 to replace their alternator. I would think the warranty (100,000 mile) would cover them too? am I wrong about this? Other than factory recall and this, my wife and I have enjoyed the van. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I take great care and do all the schedule maintenance so it will last, :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Capitolpe,

If it is the alternator under most circumstances yes.

If you search this forum and others there are threads/ reports of the alternator
not able to charge the battery adequetly on the Sedona.

Kia will replace be firm if need be and have their upgrade fitted if available and required.
seacam

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
I can confirm it is covered under warranty. Mine was. However it was found afterwards to be the battery....

How do you know its stopped charging?? I found via Dealer it was the battery not being of sufficient quality to handle the loadings.

Simon

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Simon,

So did Kia change your battery? My understanding is the battery should be rated at 100amps.

When they changed your alternator did they upgrade it.

I think what I'm asking is -- when they changed your alternator was it later on discovered your existing battery couldn't handle the new loads?

You used the word "quality", did you/Kia just replace with a diffrent brand or was
a higher capacity battery used?
seacam

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
capitalpe sorry for the highjack...

Seacam

Battery was changed to an 80 amph. Alternator is 110amph. To me this is wrong and when minimal amount of auxilaries are used can potentially overload the battery and boil it leading to premature failure.

However they say it is "Still being monitered" don't know how as I have the car.... but I have requested that when it comes in for its next service that they change it for the correct rated battery.

I have heard stories, don't know if its true, that the 110amph alternator has problems charging a 110amph battery to enough capacity when using a large amount of auxilaries eg fans, rear screen, lights and wiper. Be interesting to know what size batteries others have on their diesel Sedonas.

It is a genuine replacement part judging by the number of Kia stickers on it and the chinese manufacture. Sorry by quality I did not mean the brand just that it could not supply enough power to turn the engine over after only a year of use.

Simon

Simon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks for the info, I called the Kia roadside assistant number and spoke with a super nice rep. She had a wrecker at my home within an hour and the van is off to the dealership as we speak. My wife was driving home with the kids last night when she called in a panic saying the lights were going out and the van was trying to cut off. Thankfully she was only 2 miles from home (We live way out in the country in North carolina). So I went and picked them up, got'em home safe and sound, drove back and charged the battery from my truck. It started up and I drove it limping back home and it died just as I pulled in the drive. I hooked a battery tester and voltage reader to it and cranked it up again, while it was running I could see that the battery was only getting about 8 amps! Then it died again. The funny thing is the battery warning light never came on at anytime and I told the guy at the service department from the Kia dealership about it too. He said that it sounds like the alternator to him and that when it goes out it will not get enough current to the computer to power the low battery warning light, makes sense to me. Of course I should know something this afternoon and hopefully fixed by this evening. I'm glad to have found this forum to ask these questions because with todays vehicles and all the new ones coming out, you never know what headaches or trouble you could face. Unforeseen problems and issues that could cost big bucks is something I want to avoid, if possible. Buying something dependable and safe with your love ones ridding in it, I would think is something we all want and need. I really appreciate everyones reply! :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Simon,

I'm amazed, 80amp battery seems no where enough, me thinks your battery is underated.

Just checked my battery, thought I was right, 100 amps, mine had Kia Atlas Royal stamped on it.
seacam

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Capitolpe

I was just about to post you again and slag Kia off, then they go and get efficient, oh well I'm glad they were there for you.

I must admit to feeling a little uneasy when members say they waived their Kias' off into the sunset, I hope it's returned pronto.

If you get a chance phone the workshop and find out what your existing battery and alternator is rated at and what there replacing either with ampage wise.
Keep us posted
seacam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts