Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we here in Denver are starting to get some warm temps I have noticed that the AC in the van doesn't seem to be working very well. I tested the temp at the vent and it is generally about 55F on max. This is when the ambiant air temp is about 85 degrees outside.

I called to schedule to get the van in for the rear wheel hub recall and I figured I would ask them about the AC. They said that the temp should be around 40 degrees and they would look at it when I bring it in.

Now for the shock. The Service Rep said that if there is a faulty component of the system it is covered under warranty but if it is that the R134a is low that Kia considers that a normal maintenance item and only covered by the 12month/12000 plan. WHAT? WHAT? The AC leaking that much would HAVE to be a faulty component IMO. How is that acceptable for Kia to NOT cover that?

I just don't get it.

Chris

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
You're right, refrigerant doesn't "get old" or "wear out". If your system is low, then it's leaking from somewhere. Sounds like a slow leak, so you will need a good techician (with proper tools, and dye) to find it. Whether it says it in the warranty or not, if they don't cover the refrigerant I would throw a fit. They will have to reclaim it anyway to replace a part or fix the leak, so they can't charge you for the half-hour of labor that Kia gives them to recharge the system because it's already being done under warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what I thought and thank you for confirming my suspicions. A brief look at the warranty they have online for 2004 models show this

http://www.kia.com/2004warranty.pdf

Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge
Air conditioner refrigerant charge is covered for the first 12 months of the warranty period regardless of mileage. Over the balance of the warranty period, refrigerant charge is covered only when replenished as part of a warranty repair.
What a load of crap! If there is just a slow leak, what is the best method to convince them that there is an obvious other problem? I have been really pleased with our first Kia so far but this is really hard to swallow.

Chris

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Tell them that the leak is allowing the atmosphere into the system, and that you know that this will shorten the life of all of the A/C components. It does, this isn't just some good BS.

Bottom line, if it leaks, it's not right, and they need to fix it. Since it's slow, they should recharge it with some added dye. Then they run it a while and look for the dye with a black light around the whole system. If they don't see it right away, they may have you take it home so it has a chance to leak out, and then they'll check it later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts