Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio RX-V, 1981 Honda 1100 Interstate
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 2003 Kia Rio RX-V with 171100 kms for a really good price. Obviously it needs a few things. I need an affordable return line for the power steering and there is water filling up the spare wheel well. When I brought the car home, I removed the trunk cover rug and found a pool of water sitting in the spare wheel well. I popped the drain plug and allowed the trunk space to air out and dry. Today, it began raining fairly steadily and I noticed water begining on the driver side of the back wall trickling in, pooling in a bolt well and tricklin on down into the wheel well. A short while later, the passenger side began the same thing. It appears to be coming in, mirroring the driver side leak. Is this a lack of sealant around the tail light clusters or would it run down from the roof seams in identical spots on both sides? Currently, I have the trunk rug out and the plug pull;ed to allow drainage. I would rather just seal up the issue. Originally, I thought is was a leak comming in from a rust spot on the driver side, lower corner of the rear window but, the leak continued when the hatch was lifted. Any ideas out there? Also, what is required to seal it up, silicon?

Thanks,

NavyMarine

·
Registered
1G Kia Rio 2002
30 Posts
Ok I just had this problem on my 2002 rio rxv. On your back trunk lid on the inside when you open it up look up and youll see 2 rubber plugs up there. Well they leak and they act as a funnel to the inside of your car. Just seal them up and your problem should go away. It did for me. It took me a year to find that problem.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio RX-V, 1981 Honda 1100 Interstate
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I just had this problem on my 2002 rio rxv. On your back trunk lid on the inside when you open it up look up and youll see 2 rubber plugs up there. Well they leak and they act as a funnel to the inside of your car. Just seal them up and your problem should go away. It did for me. It took me a year to find that problem.
Just to clarify, the two ruber plugs are a part of the hatch? Are they located where they can be seen from the the inside of the trunk area or does trim have to be removed? Are they on the top, steel portion of the hatch that can't be seen when the hatch is closed? What did you seal them with?

Thank you,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts