Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 optima hesitation stutter while accelerating 4 cylinder

I am having issues with my 2003, 4 cylinder optima. I had the timing belt, crankshaft position sensor, and plug wires replaced after the belt broke and wiped the sensor out. prior to that the mechanic(friend) thought the fuel pump was bad, so he removed it. We hooked a battery to it and determined that the pump was still good. The mechanic hooked his diagnostic tool to the car and it showed that the crankshaft sensor was bad. He started working on the car and found the timing belt had broke and when that happened it wiped out the sensor. He replaced the two parts and the car worked fine except, while initially checking out the fuel pump, the oring on the fuel line, which attaches to the top of the fuel pump was damaged(nothing you could see) during removal of the pump. Because of this, gas was seeping and could be smelled in and around the car. There was not a replacement in town for the oring so we went to napa and got one that most closely matched the original. we installed it and the car ran perfectly for a few days. then the car started to miss and stutter and a slight smell of gas was noticed. we determined the oring was going bad so we obtained an oem oring from a kia dealer which had to be purchased as an assembly for 50 dollars. This took care of the problem. I also had the transmission fluid replaced. I wanted a filter replacement too but found out the transmission had to be disassembled to do this. I elected not to have that done. everything went well for a week or two then the stuttering returned(mostly on acceleration). I checked the tranny fluid and it was about a quart low. I added fluid and the car seemed to be running good again. then a few days later it started stuttering again. I just put up with it. It runs perfectly once up to speed. Then the problem disappeared for about a month. I couldn't believe how it just cleared up on its own. Then it happened,three days ago I got stuck behind some slow traffic, I went to pass the slower vehicles and the car started stuttering again. I do not smell gas the way I did when it was the oring problem, but it does act the same way as it did when the oring was the culprit.. The thing that really has me puzzled is that the car will run perfectly for a few days, then the problem comes back again for a few days. this has been going on for six months now. Has anyone else encountered this. I would appreciate and tips or remedies from anyone who has any ideas or had similar problems. Thank you for taking the time to read this

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Faltering under load suggests spark plugs to me. You mentioned plug wires were replaced, but not plugs? Ignition coils?

How is the fuel consumption? If it's really bad, look at the various sensors (MAF etc.) and the catalytic converter. Clean throttle body.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts