Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Spectra
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought myself a used 03 kia spectra, thought it looked good. drivers seat is toast along with back seat. Looking at motor...not so great either. It has 160k miles and hardly pumps oil anymore. I have to buy another motor. I am wondering is there other cars or kia models that have a motor that would fit? or am i limited to a 02-04 kia spectra motor only?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Welcome to kia-forums..
I would ask one question...Why do you say "It has 160k miles and hardly pumps oil anymore"? Is this something some one told you or did you put an oil pressure gauge on the car? This basic engine can go 200~300k miles (if it was maintained). Your post to JesZek will get you some good responses as he has put a lot of "love" into his wife's Sephia.
Have you looked into "who" is going to replace the engine and the labor cost involved in doing it? With your sig being "amandapanda" I presume you are female and I do not know your capabilities...so... I ask these questions trying to keep you out of a big cash hole.

Jes used what he had available in Honduras...Your availablity will be better in the USA.
A good used 2003 Spectra engine "should" be avaiable and no modifications would be needed. The interior (seats) may also be available at the salvage yard and the color selection on KIA Spectras are limited to only a few colors so your chance of finding the right ones should be good.
Dave

·
Registered
2003 Kia Spectra
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You are correct. I am female. My dad knows decent amount about cars in general nothing about kias directly though. He told me the engine is bad because it doesn't pump oil, almost sounds like a diesel engine because i rattles so loud.
From what we gathered it seems like previous owner just got in and commuted not cleaning it up or taking much car of it. I have found a few engines in local salvage yards but most are in the 120k area which isn't that much better than mine so my dad assumes they also would be no good. I have been looking at seats at salvage yards also but mostly they are moldy on top or wet underneath. My back seat is caked with stuff almost ready to mold. Drivers seat has a metal bar sticking out and feels twisted.
My dad will probably put in the engine along with my brothers help. I don't have much knowledge of cars so not sure how much i can help. I can use a screw driver or wrench but not much else. Like i said none of us in my family know anything on kias specifically. Is there any tricks or things to know before putting a new engine in it, seats, console or door panels?

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Hi again..

Well...now I have a good idea where we stand on repairing your car...
Here's a few places where you might want to look for "parts".

You might want to check out car-part.com for engines in your area...
2003 Engine Kia Spectra *(1.8L, 4 cyl, DOHC, VIN '1', 8th digit)NEEDS TEST 74,000 A 1CD052 $350 AR1 Auto Wrecking USA-WA(Yakima) Request_Quote 866-270-3221 / 509-452-0818

Also check ebay.com
02 03 04 Kia Spectra Engine 1 8L 4 Cyl | eBay

Now for information....
Go to kiatechinfo.com and register...there are "requirements" to successfully log on.
Here is my cut and paste on how to...
You really don't need to "buy" a manual...Just go to "kiatechinfo.com",
register, and all the info you need is right there.
You need to be running
Microsoft Windows (XP,Vista,7) and
Microsoft IE (Internet Explorer 8 or higher).
You also need to download and install a free "plug-in or app" called Adobe SVG
(Scaled Vector Graphics). There is a link to this software on their site.
and a valid email address to send the password to..
This is the only known good way to get onto this site..

This site doesn't like...
Mac or Linux Operating Systems
Firefox/Chrome/Safari Browers

There is a moderate learning curve as things aren't always where you would think they should be...but a little looking gets everything you could possibly need.
Hope all this helps...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
You have to use Microsoft Internet Explorer (ver 6~9). Later versons need to be in "compatability mode". This site is very picky you need to be running Windows (XP/Vista/7), Internet Explorer (NO Chrome/Safari/Firefox), and have Adobe SVG (scaled vector graphics). If you use ANYTHING ELSE it won't work!
We all are here to help and you'll feel right at home here.
Our KIAs were known as orphan cars UNTIL we as owners began supporting them by ourselves... They have come a long way from the early years and can/will hold their own against the Japanese Imports today.
I bought my 06 Spectra SX as a "salvage" (totaled) car with 24k miles on it January 2010 for $2100 and put under $1000 to make it street legal. The following year you couldn't touch one (salvage) for under $4000.
Dave

·
Registered
SPECTRA (TRADED),CADILLAC (TRADED), ACURA MDX, SUZUKI KIZASHI, FORD FOCUS
21 Posts
please never buy a used kia with 160k miles. they are junk from the start so one with that kind of mileage in horrible condition should have told you to stay away.you will be putting money into a car that you will never recoup. i had an 04 spectra an with only 102k miles and the automatic tranny failed and i traded it as fast as i could an i will never buy the kia brand again.....never, not in this life. good luck

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Jono..
So you bought a "pig in a poke" (someone else's abused car)...
I'm sorry you also bought it... BUT you are wrong about KIAs...
You base your "logic" on a car that you had no history of it's past and hearsay..

Facts are...
KIA cars pre-2001 were pretty much throw away..
When Hyundai infused millions into KIA their quality generally improved.
The model years following 2004 their quality vastly improved and today are on par with the best of the Japanese brands...
I see posts of these cars doing 300k miles and more with their original engines and transmissions and only regular maintenance and replacement of worn parts.
My 1998 Ford Contour lost it's automatic transmission at 86k due to a design fault and the "Focus" isn't much better....so it will also be on your "TRADED" signature soon...
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.