Kia Forum banner

2003 Kia Spectra Manual Engine Stalls When Clutch Engaged.

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ron1004 
#1 ·
Hi,

Having a rather annoying problem that i can't isolate. When im driving in the city, my car will die after pressing the clutch down, don't have an rpm meter but it sounds incredibly low as if the car is not recieving enough gas to keep the engine from stalling.

Doesn't occur if i get it to the highway and off. No amount of time of letting the engine warm up helps either. I've tried giving giving it gas when engaging the clutch, still dies after i let off the throttle. There's some belt squealing occasionally too, not sure if a wheel is just seizing up, no sign of a leak. I think they're tied together but rather get a second opinion (i hate working on KIAs).

Ive had this car for a couple months, when i bought it, looked pretty damn good, fluids were topped off. Checked anyways and still pretty solid.

Any educated opinions on this would be great. Thanks.

#2 ·
Did you try cleaning the throttle body and also cleaning the Idle air control valve? You don't state whether the RPM on cold start "seems" right(you state there is no Tachometer in the dash). On a cold(first start) the engine should have a higher idle and drop back in speed as it warms up. And a dirty ICV can actually reduce warm engine idle speed, since the idle air is controlled thru a "set" clearance of the valve inside of it.

#4 ·
It sounds like the clutch throw-out bearing is going bad to be able to add some drag when you have the clutch pressed, but even with that, it's the job of the IAC/ISC to adjust the idle speed whenever the idle loads change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.