Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this and was wondering is there any way to get rid of the automatic head lights? Like when i put down my e-brake the headlights comes on and when i pull up the e-brake it goes off. Is there any way to get rid of that and in order to turn my head lights on is to use the switch like many other cars? (ie. my car does not have dim lights or as you can call it daytime driving lights as when the e-brake is down and lights come on and when i turn the head light switch it makes no difference). Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HID setup

Hi I want to install a plug and play HID set in my 03 Sorento ex but without solving the headlight problem then my HID's will be on 24/7, is there anyway to fix that?

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
You do realise HID conversions are technically illegal in practically all markets, on cars that did not originally come out with them.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
You do realise HID conversions are technically illegal in practically all markets, on cars that did not originally come out with them.
I'll humor the OP and just assume that the region he lives in allows them. What you'll need to do is replace the computer with one programmed to not have automatic lights (such as the lower model US models). This may/will cause other electrical issues. So... Either your lights are on all the time, or you live with knowing that some things probably won't work correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies but I guess I'm not going to risk having other problems just for hids and I'm from Vancouver Canada and everyone here has aftermarket hids lol

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
Wait, aren't you suppose to have light all the time in Canada by law?

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,930 Posts
Wait, aren't you suppose to have light all the time in Canada by law?
That's what I thought too, but wasn't sure when they made fitment of DRL mandatory in Canada. Original description of operation now makes me wonder if this was a US model modified to work in Canada, but not actually fitted with DRL module.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car is a canadian car and here in canada i see a lot of cars without head lights on so i dont think its illegal but not 100% sure tho. Only illegal is you drive at night without headlights. Anyone else know another way to get rid of the automatic headlights?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
From Globe and Mail Article link

“Any daytime running light system that has been disabled, removed or is found non-functioning while in operation on highway is contradictory to regulations. Vehicles that do not comply will not pass provincial inspection criterion, and are subject to roadside enforcement. Under ‘general charges’ a motorist can be ticketed for failing to have adequate lighting. However, vehicles licensed in other jurisdictions (i.e., tourists) may be exempt as the vehicles may comply with regulations where they are licensed.”

While the Insurance Corp. of British Columbia can’t pinpoint how many (and indeed, if any) tickets specific to DRLs have been issued in B.C., it confirms that more than 1,500 contraventions were processed in the province last year for failure to drive with required or lighted lamps, or failure to maintain required lamps.

Perhaps the vehicles you’ve seen recently without DRLs are more than 20 years old, or visiting from the U.S. where this feature is not mandatory. It may also be that this is not overly enforced due to the lack of strong, clear evidence to show that DRLs will significantly reduce accidents.
Maybe you should look at the picture in the article as well!

[Card Carrying Canadian :cool: ]

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
but wasn't sure when they made fitment of DRL mandatory in Canada.
DEPENDS WHERE YOU LOOK:
Dec 1st 1989
Jan 1st 1990
- For the OP, I guess your Sorento is covered (ie they have to be fitted).

But, it does appear that the province you live in can determine whether they have to work or not. My advice is to leave them connected. You gain nothing substantive by disabling them.

Then work around the HID problem if you need to. Not clear which lights are on in your original post. If low beam, put HIDs in the High Beam - or vice versa. If there is definite that there is no DRL circuit (I think there would be if a true Canadian spec vehicle) then it wouldn't matter if you put HID in both - Just the 'DRL' beam would be always on. BUT - typically where 'DRL' action is tied to one circuit it is usual/possible the beam is not full-power (I remember an old Rover I had where there was a large resistor/thyristor in the circuit to dim the beam.)

As stated earlier, HIDs are probably not technically legal anyway. So, alternatively use high output lamps rather than DRL which are legal (Nightbreakers/whatever).

The action of the E-brake is normal and correct the way you describe it (DRL must be off when vehicle is stationary - as per Transport Canada) but that is not how it is done with modern aftermarket DRL. Those have a circuit which senses sidelight/headlamp/engine function and switches DRL accordingly. iirc when e-brake is on, there is just a switch to ground on the e-brake (causes the dash lamp to illuminate). Probably 'DRL' uses same function. (Similar circuit is often used to inhibit playing of DVD's when e-brake is off; ie vehicle in motion)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts