Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
03 Kia Sedona
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my timing belt and when I started it up a piece of plastic broke off the cover and caused the cam to jump six teeth. I reset belt but now I get p300 p303 and p 305 codes. I suspect bent exhaust valves. I am going to replace the cylinder head. Does this sound like my valves are bent?

·
Registered
Kia Carnival
24 Posts
Hie,which belt did you replace.The main belt or the slave belts.?Is the car running smoothly or rough.Having the belt jumping six teeth is scarey though.Did you remember to fit the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
tafisama, as Doug is from the US I think you'll find he's referring to the 3.5 litre V6 3.5D engine, which does not have the 'slave' (rear) timing belts that you have on your 2.5L K5 engine.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
engine compression test & hand rotation fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
03 Kia Sedona
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reset timing. same prob. guess teardown replace cylinder head. when replacing head anything i should know ? never replaced head on kia before. poor thing only has 85k on it.

·
Registered
03 Kia Sedona
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was standard belt change. just bad luck. am capable of doing. just need little help on reinstall

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
96 Posts
I recently replaced my timing belt and when I started it up a piece of plastic broke off the cover and caused the cam to jump six teeth. I reset belt but now I get p300 p303 and p 305 codes. I suspect bent exhaust valves. I am going to replace the cylinder head. Does this sound like my valves are bent?
What actually 'broke-off the cover'? I'm struggling with how something broke-off and 'caused the belt to jump'. There is a sensor that sits under the cover....is this what broke-off? If the sensor is out of commission, I'm guessing it could throw those codes. How is the car running now? The codes are obviously misfire codes, so it should be pretty obvious if engine is running rough or misfiring. It is an interference engine, so if the belt jumped 6 teeth you may have damaged some of the valves. Although hard to say, I had mine jump 4-5 teeth once when the tensioner stopped working and it did not cause any damage (car still running great). Did it jump on both banks or just one?

If car is indeed not running right, would start with a compression test as suggested here. I never had to replace the head on the KIA, so don't know about any pitfalls. But it looks pretty straight forward. Hopefully it is limited to the valves and not piston crowns. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Hard to tell from that diagram in the service manual (Did you see the clip here?). It looks in the shop manual diagram to just be a mark on the sprocket.

As I have the 2.5L engine (and I assume you have the 3.5L) I can't say from looking at mine as they are quite different.

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
96 Posts
Not aware of any special tool that holds the crank in place, but maybe there is one. I bought sprocket lock tools at NAPA (cheap, may $15-20/tool?). So you use the lock tools to hold each pair of sprockets in place while you route the belt. However, I had big trouble with this job. The trick is to get the belt on very tight (and I mean tight), so that the only slack is between the inlet sprocket (by the firewall) and the belt tensioner). I learned a trick while doing this. I offset the timing mark on the exhaust sprocket about 2 teeth then routed the belt from the crank and over the sprockets, and clamped the the belt to the sprockets. Stopped there and did not route the belt down to the WP. Then I just a wrench and turned the sprockets into their timing marks. By doing this, belt now very tight between sprockets and crank. Then I continued to route the belt over WP and up over the sprockets. Used the same technique there ,and offset the timing marks, but not as much as on the exhaust side. Used the wrench to turn the sprockets into their timing mark positions, being carefu to not pull to much so that the inlet sprockets started turning too. After a few trial and errors i succeeded and the timing marks on both side lined-up perfectly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts