Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 KIA Sedona
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear coolant lines are rusted and leaking. I was told as a quick fix I can bypass these lines by using a u-shpaed coolant hose and run the van without rear heat. Is this possible? If so does anyone have step by step instructions and pictures so I know excatly what I am looking at.

I appreciate any help you can give me. I am a single mom and have learned to be very handy when it comes to repairs. :)

·
Registered
2003 KIA Sedona
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was a quick fix. Parts cost me $20 at NAPA Auto Parts (u-shaped coolant hose part No. 10777 and two hose clamps part No. 70501012). Just had to cut the metal coolant lines where they come down near the front tire, slid on the u-shaped hose and clamp. Done!

·
Registered
9 Posts
same problem, some add'l info

Autozone has B87653 (napa 10777, Gates 18777, Dayco 87653) This bypass fits 85-86 corvette, 88-91 Corvette with 5.7l

Our 04 sedona has just had this problem, dealer quotes app. $800 for replacement of tubes and refill. 2.5 years in illinois with road salt, priceless.

I'm surprised kia has not been sued over this, very poor design and materials.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Autozone has B87653 (napa 10777, Gates 18777, Dayco 87653) This bypass fits 85-86 corvette, 88-91 Corvette with 5.7l

Our 04 sedona has just had this problem, dealer quotes app. $800 for replacement of tubes and refill. 2.5 years in illinois with road salt, priceless.

I'm surprised kia has not been sued over this, very poor design and materials.

Thanks
Its not just Kia, every manufacturer with rear heater lines has rust issues in salty areas. I have a 95 Astro with the rear heater lines rusted through, maybe I should sue GM. Yeah, right.

Good info on the part numbers, though. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
04 sedonna,07 oddsey,77 dodge p/u,kubota tractor------
97 Posts
Instead of bypassing and doing without rear heat, I would replace the rusted metal with rubber hose. If mine ever rust through here in the south. Seems like some spray on tar would prevent this even with salt.

·
Registered
2005 kia sedona
1 Posts
replaced ones on my 05 sedona with rubber hose(50 dollars from autozone) and tied it up with stainless cable ties from meijer(15-20 dollars) half a days work and has lasted for three years now.

·
Registered
2003 carnival 2,9 ex auto
70 Posts
I did the temporary loop years back & then stripped out the old pipes & was going to use rubber hose but they don' like it here, for vehicle inspection, especially as it would have had to cross the chassis rail.
So I used 16mm o.d. thick wall pipe from the steel stockholders ! Used rubber lined 'P' clips to hold both pipes to body using original studs & nuts & just lengthened front & rear rubber pipes to suit.Worked a treat. Oh, I did paint the pipe well before installing. That was over 4 years back & it is still in good nick.

·
Registered
2005 Sedona EX
27 Posts
@ 1koopie, When you replaced the lines, did you go all the way back to the rear heater? Looking at doing mine this coming weekend. About how much hose did you buy for the job. Looks like the hoses should be about 1 inch O.D. am I correct? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts