Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2003 Sedona which, I am starting to spend more and more time working on these days. Currently at 103,000 miles, replaced timing belt/water pump at approx 80,000 miles-AND WHILE WE WERE ON VACATION!!
Motor keeps running hot, at least by the temp gauge on the dash, but it has yet to push any water out, or cut off. A/C only blows cold if she gets on the interstate or up to speed, at which time the temp gauge drops and A/C blows cold again. At idle, temp pegs out quickly, and A/C starts blowing hot again. I have check the obvious such as fuses, and installed a new thermostat and flushed the radiator and put in new coolant/water mix. Sound like a water pump to anyone? Relay? By the time I finish this repair, I will have logged enough hours to qualify as a Kia Certified Mechanic. Will not buy another one.

·
Registered
07sedona lx 2000 nubira 74 beetle 86 cbr1000 honda 93 harley lowrider 94 trooper 72 scimitar
483 Posts
would suggest checking the radiator cooling fans are cutting in and also are they running at full speed
also could the rear pipes have an airlock?
ttfn glenn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for the delayed response from over a year ago

so, after many more hours of diagnostics and repairs (all done by yours truly) I have completed the following sonce my last post to which you kindly responded back in July of 2012. I thought I had it fixed and I forgot my password, which is the reason I never responded. It just overheated and shut down on my wife again today after all this:

replaced cat conv @ rear of motor (factory recall)
replaced cat conv in front of muffler (completely clogged)
replaced front and rear engine mounts
replaced all 3 coil packs
replaced all spark plugs
flushed coolant system and replaced w/recommended coolant
replaced radiator and upper radiator hose due to crack in weld where upper hose attaches to radiator
replaced thermostat
tested water pump (which is working properly)
replaced alternator
replaced front brake pads
changed oil/filter

No water in oil, not blowing out any from tailpipe, and motor is not using any coolant, oil level is good. No fault codes are being thrown other than misfires due to built in safety feature from factory to prevent damage from overheating. Could it be any of the following based on info Ive given?

-clogged cat conv on front of engine (no codes thrown to indicate so)
-cracked head gasket (not fully blown)
-air in coolant sytem (bled system and filled via upper radiator hose-not fill hole-as prescribed by mechanic)
-rear heater/coolant lines (knowing they are prone to rusting out, I removed the flap actuator approx 2 yrs ago to get air cond to rear as actuator was stuck in heat mode)

I'm done with this piece of junk, but have to try to repair again due to the fact that it makes me physically ill at the thought of having to get a new car and have another payment.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,939 Posts
There were suggestions about replacing the radiator fans (if bad) and/or fan relays...
It does sound like that is your problem and I see no mention of your checking the fans.
The car would overheat like you described and cool down at highway speeds.

The items you have replaced are not uncommon in a car that is 10~11yrs old and has over 100k miles...Things wear out and the earlier KIAs were no where near as good as todays KIAs.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts