Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 KIA Sedona
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been told that the fuel filter is located in the gas tank and can be accessed by a panel located behind the front seat. Is this correct? Also, can I just replace my fuel filter or is it part of the fuel pump. Do I need to replace them both. I am getting mixed stories where this is concerned.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

·
Registered
2003 KIA Sedona
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found a post on here that says I can just replace the filter without replacing the pump. Going to have a look today. Since I have never done this before. How do I tell if it is clogged or dirty. Will the gunk be visible? Does anyone have a picuture?

·
Registered
04 sedonna,07 oddsey,77 dodge p/u,kubota tractor------
97 Posts
You can replace the filter without the pump. Be careful to put the o rings from the old one to the new one or it will not work. The old filter will probably be darker but unless it's way past time to change there shouldn't be any crud buildup. Look up your filter on Auto Zone and there should be a link to instructions and maybe pictures on how to install. The access panel is between the 2nd row of seats.

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
95 Posts
Another member gave me the instructions how to replace the fuel filter in another thread. So, courtesy by "PeterBlue", here they are:

Releasing Fuel System Pressure

! WARNING THE FUEL SYSTEM REMAINS UNDER PRESSURE WHEN THE ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING. RELEASE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY FUEL LINE TO REDUCE THE CHANCE OF PERSONAL INJURY OR FIRE DAMAGE TO VEHICLE COMPONENTS.

1. Start engine.
2. Disconnect fuel pump connector located under center floor carpet.
3. Let engine stall, then turn IG OFF.
4. Reconnect fuel pump connector.

Fuel Filter Removal

1. Release fuel system pressure. Refer to "Releasing fuel system pressure".
2. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
3. Remove service cover under center floor carpet.
4. Disconnect fuel pump's electrical connector, main and return hose.
5. Unfasten fuel pump and filter assembly fixing-bolt (6 EA).
6. Extract fuel pump & filter assembly.
7. Remove the pump & filter assembly case.
8. Disconnect fuel pump electrical connector and pull the fuel pump from the fuel filter.
* Notice: Be careful not to lose O-Ring (4 EA)

Nothing specific about replacing the filter, but I guess its implicitly that favorite of Haynes manuals 'Installation is the reverse of removal'.

Priming the fuel system

After fuel pressure has been released, system must be primed to avoid excessive cranking to restart the engine.
1. Connect terminal 1 (FUEL PUMP) and terminal 5 (Battery+) of data link connector with a jumper wire.
2. Turn IG ON for no longer than 10 seconds to pressurize system and check for fuel leaks. (Jumper wire gets if it is left in for longer than 10 seconds)
3. Turn IG OFF and remove jumper wire.

The wording in Step 2 seems to be missing a word between 'gets' and 'if' - 'hot'? surely that would depend on the wire you are using for the jumper.

The above is from the manuals covering the Carnival / Sedona with the 2.5l GV6 / KV6 / K5 engine, but I'd imagine its fairly common to all.

Changing the filter is on my to-do list so I've not done this myself as yet.

No mention in my manual about releasing any residual pressure in the tank by removing the filler cap - I'd certainly be doing that before opening the tank.

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Fuel filter replacement

I've now done this task myself, and have attached a writeup that expands on the Kia workshop manual extract reproduced above, as there's a few things it glosses over.

Edit: This writeup was initially attached to another post and has now been moved here. It's also been updated to reflect the info from member ClassicBoy that this procedure applies only to later models in the 99-06 style Carnival/Sedona.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sedona 2.9TS
17 Posts
Excellent guide, PeterBlue. Can anyone confirm if this would also apply to a 2008 2.9 litre Diesel Sedona?

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts