Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has an automatic 2003 Kia Rio Cinco. He started the Kia up this morning on his way to work and it started fine. It stalled when he put it in reverse, and then it would not start.

It has a brand new battery and just passed a state inspection 3 days ago after spending $500+ on brake work, so presumably the brake lights were working at that point.

Now there is a click in the in the fuse/relay area;
The brake lights are completely out;
The shifter was stuck in park and had to be manually released.

I understand there is an interlock with the brakes that will prevent the car from shifting unless the brake pedal is pressed, so all of this sounds related, but we just cannot wrap our heads around what could be going on.

I tried moving some of the relays around and checked some fuses, but they all seem good.

Are we missing something obvious?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
The fuses are the place I would be looking... Sometimes the most illogical fuse is the one that fails... KIAs are known for strange combinations being protected by fuses..
The Park release solenoid is electric and probably tied to the brake fuse.
It's "possible" that who ever did the brake work may have blown a fuse and then replaced it with on e slightly smaller... The smaller fuse would blow for no apparent reason like what you have now... Compare the fuse markings against the value that is on the label on the fuse door.
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Check the fuses like dave says. 15A Stop fuse under dash or maybe the brake pedal switch has failed. Or the 30 AMP BTN fuse out in the fuse/relay box by the battery. Good luck with it. Reguards Ronjohn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I will start checking every fuse tomorrow and see what happens.

Auto Zone guy says he thinks it is the TPS, but I am not sure that would affect the brake lights? Does not make sense as brake lights should always work.

What you guys have said makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Fuses checked. Nothing in BTN slot. Added fuse - Must have mixed one up at the beginning when first checking starting problem. Now, everything seems to work but the actual starting of the car now. Back to square one, maybe?

Can hear noise behind me which I assume is the fuel pump, and a faint whirring under the shifter lever?

Ready to make a very dense 3 ft. x 3 ft. steel block out of the car for a living room conversation piece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Left battery unhooked all night. Reconnected this morning and tried starting. Starter turned weakly for about three seconds, then nothing. Hooked cables again for a while, but tried again and nothing.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
What is the battery voltage? and how old is it? 12.5 is good anything under 11.8 it probably wont turn over maybe the battery or cables are the issue. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts