Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2003 Kia Rio 1.6L DOHC that ticks at start up and then progressively gets quieter as the engine warms up. I still have about 15K before my next timing belt is due to be changed, but lately I have been smelling burnt oil when I stop at stoplights and when I shut the engine off. I noticed oil pooling under on top of the engine near the spark plugs and running down the front of the motor.

Is there any connection between the ticking noise and I am guessing the valve cover gasket? I've kept the oil level on the stick and it currently has 5W-30.

Also, to change the assumingly bad VC gasket, will the mechanic have to take enough of the engine apart to change the timing belt while they are at it? How much should I expect to pay to fix this type of oil leak? Thanks for reading my post!

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
Your ticking I would guess could be low oil or incorrect oil filter. How close to the spark plugs to you mean? Like at the edge of the plastic cover and the head? or on top of the plastic cover? Is is close to the timing belt or close to the ignition coil? I don't think the ticking and leaking are related. A ticking valve will not cause a leak, but a leak can cause low oil in turn will cause a leak. but not directly related if your oil is at proper level. To change the valve cover gasket you only expose the top portion of the timing belt which is only one cover. That is like only step 1 to changing the timing belt. The price you might pay can very greatly. Also depending on where you live which you have not stated nor included on your profile info. Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts