Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys;

The interior lights (passenger dome and front map) in my 2003 suddenly will not turn off all the way. They remain on, all the time at about 1/2 brightness. However, when the doors are opened or the switches toggled, they come on to full brightness as expected. The "off" swithch on the dome light only keeps it from coming on full with the door.

I tried to disconnect the battery and discharge to wiring harness in an attempt to clear a computer error, but no luck, I had to finally remove the fuse to turn them off.

Obviously, there is now no interior lighting except for the front door lights. BTW, the rear cargo light was not effected until the fuse was pulled.

What's up with that?? :confused:

Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.......

Tom

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Hey Guys;

The interior lights (passenger dome and front map) in my 2003 suddenly will not turn off all the way. They remain on, all the time at about 1/2 brightness. However, when the doors are opened or the switches toggled, they come on to full brightness as expected. The "off" swithch on the dome light only keeps it from coming on full with the door.

I tried to disconnect the battery and discharge to wiring harness in an attempt to clear a computer error, but no luck, I had to finally remove the fuse to turn them off.

Obviously, there is now no interior lighting except for the front door lights. BTW, the rear cargo light was not effected until the fuse was pulled.

What's up with that?? :confused:

Any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.......

Tom
Sounds like you have a bad ground in there somewhere. The older chevy cavaliers would have bad grounds in the headlamps that would have one bright regular lamp, and the other 3 bulbs being dim (when it should be two regular, or two high beam, not all 4). It's feeding power back into the ground, causing everything to be partially powered up.

Take your time and find where the wires are bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still NO Fix.....

I am unable to find any loose ground wiring.

I have heard that the Body Control Module (BCM) controls the timing of the interior lights. After the doors are closed, the lights fade off rather then simply turn off. It's like they are fading to off, but stop just short. It's like the PWM (Pulse Wave Modulation) of the voltage drop isn't completing the entire cycle to full off.

Is it possible that the BCM needs a "flash"? Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
It is electricity we are talking about. There is no set rule. If I could avoid replacing a control module $$$ and spend $14 instead I would give it a shot. You may do as you please. It is only a suggestion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Friend;

I do appreciate the suggestion, seriously. I read the diode thread and it seemed to be a fix for "no" on, not "no" off dome lighting problems. However, I do agree electicity, especially DC auto electricity seems to have no rules and is even harder to isolate.

Thank you for your interest in my problem, these forums are great when it comes to sharing thoughts, ideas and solutions to these issues.

Regards, :D

Tom

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,923 Posts
tjworker...
I believe you are right thinking that the BCM is at fault. The interior lights are dimmed to dark by PWM. I am beginning to see a rash of bad BCMs over in the Spectra area with problems from door locking, windows not working, alarm system faults, turn signals flashing too fast, you name it. A "transplant" from a donor car may solve your problems...and yes the diode mod is for no interior lights only.
I don't think it's a programming or memory problem...but a failure of the BCM.
There should be some good bone/salvage yards around Corona, California...
Try "car-part.com" and then call the yard(s) or check ebay (2003 Sorento BCM).
Try to get as close as possible the same part# as printed on the original BCM.
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Dave;

The more I dig into this, the more I too think the BCM is at fault. I will look around for a replacement, but where do I find the BCM in my Sorento so I can check the part number and replace it. Thanks!

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts