Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sedona 2003
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would 6 months of totally dead bat casue Sedona to forget Key.
AArgh
Car had some cooling problems so been laid up in the shed for last six months.
Battery down to 0.16 volts from lack of use.
Finally found time and will to take a crack at the cooling system yesterday.
So to check it and get going I put in brand new battery 12.55volts, ignition position one and two >> car electrics all seem fine.
Turn key to start position>> hear a solenoid click, but..... no crank.

Importantly can watch the battery volts and they drop very little in the crank position, so no significant load current appears to be drawn from the battery as it just drops to 11.8.....and if the interior lights are on they don't really dim when key goes to crank position, this is well off normal as it usually drew a criminal current on cranking.
Conclusion no current going to starter motor.

Bit strange because 6 months ago when it was driven into our shed waiting for me to fix it, it was always a start first time gal!...just needed attention for being a bit hot and bothered.

But the car does seem to have remembered the key fob door opener but I wonder has the IMMO system forgotten the key?.

I have two keys, only one ever started the vehicle, the second key I never had programmed. I tried both keys now and they behave the same >>once in cranking position the solenoid clicks but car don't crank at all and as above lacking the expected power drain on battery.

Question
How do I know the car is recognising the key that starts it? can't remember how it behaved previously now.

Do the IMMO lights displayed show different for a recognised key? whats the normal sequence when it recognises a key and when it doesn't?

I have a vague memory previously the nonworking key did actually crank it but didn't let it start and previously the good key cranked it and it started.
BUT it may have been a non-working key just clunks the solenoid.... can't remember.

Anyway I hope someone else can remember what other indications there are the car recognises the key.

All help appreciated I love her to bits but I feel she's in a huff as been a bit neglected:(!!!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
More likely solenoid switch not working or starter not working, rather than bad memory. I would think that a security issue would give you nothing.

·
Registered
Kia Sedona 2003
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, nightmare to get to starter motor (no big lift or pit), but some hammer bashes and tightening and she fired up. Thanks for saving me from a dark alley of thought about IMMO despair. thanks again
P.

P.S. Bop Till You Drop a favourite album of mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts