Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All...

My 2002 Sportage (2WD) has a starter issue: There is a wire with a blade-type connector (w/rubber boot) that is pushed onto the solenoid (you would think this would be a bolt-on terminal!). It seems to fit tightly, but it worked it's way loose last week and now it keeps coming off and the car will not start! It is a REAL pain in the a** to reconnect (I have to remove the manifold bracket to get to it).

A couple of questions:

A) Anybody else hear of, or have, this problem?

B) Why would it "wiggle" off? I don't drive the car hard - is engine movement pulling this wire & causing it to detach?

C) What can I do to tighten it?

Thanks for your input!!!

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
If it is a standard slide on connector ...if you look inside the boot you will see two curled ends that can be pinched (carefully) closed to improve the friction (grab) of the connector with the tab on the starter. A standard pair of pliers so do the job.
Dave

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
+1 with DaveSpectra and I'd also make sure there is enought slack in the wire to allow for any movement or vibration. If there isn't any slack at all, check to make sure the wire itsn't kinked or has the slack anywhere down the line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts