Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vehicle was driving fine then suddenly died & would not start again. determined that the problem was fuel related- tested fuel pump- good.
replaced main relay and fuel pump relay- old ones also tested good. Determined that the fuses next to the main relay and fuel relay are not getting anything with ignition on but when you crank the motor over they recieve current (the fuel pump does not come on until you crank the motor over) but will not start. The fuses are labeled 02 up, 02 down and fuel relay- all are 10A fuses. You can hear the main relay and fuel relay click when ignition is on but nothing on the fuses. Thanks in advance for any insight to my query.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,173 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

Main relay supplies power to the Fuel Pump Relay ->
Fuel Pump Relay supplies power to the upper/lower O2 fuse blades,

* Ignition Switch controls trigger (power) to the main relay.

re: relays - did you use official (KIA) relays or aftermarket relays?

have you used a DVOM (digital multimeter) with a continuity test function to test -all- fuses in the engine compartment and passenger cabin fuse panels?

That info would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the response Gottacruise! glad to be a part of the forum! a ton of useful information here and seems like really nice people! no, I used aftermarket ones from Autozone as the closest dealership is an hour away. Also, did not use a DVOM- just checked that they were good visually and using the tester that lights up when current is detected on the divet on both sides of the fuses. I noticed there is a lot of problems w/the main and fuel relays, that's why I had them tested @ napa- they were clicking but of course that doesn't mean they are operating w/proper current, that's why I went ahead and tried 2 new ones. I've also seen alot of talk about poor groundings on the sportages. I'm just not sure if I should start looking for grounds (and where would I find the schematics for the locations) or look towards the ignition switch although I havent seen alot of threads on those in the forum.
Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
The after market relays have been know to be a source of NO START issues.

You would be better off to refurbish the OEM relays..... Philip

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
You should have power at the relay with key on. I would remove relays, and as stated get a DVOM or test light and test all the connections in the box for the power feed. I believe it is terminal 30 on the relay. In my research/experience, the pump will not operate with just key on, you either have to jump the underhood connector, or turn the engine over. I assume that you have tested for spark, since you say it is a fuel problem...

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,173 Posts
Hi edcap,

take a look at the excellent pics from Galf here:

http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/74633-help-lets-get-thing-running-3.html

Those are the relays you need - Dual Make SPST Relay

** If the diagram on your relays doesn't match what is shown on the pics Fulvio posted, they won't work..

--

re: Ground Points, you should clean them: Battery terminals, Neg. battery cable to ground tray,

remove battery and lift plastic battery tray: if the ground tray is (removable/bolted in), remove the bolts, clean bolt thread holes, replace rusted bolts with stainless bolt hardware,

clean engine ground strap (wire) connections between battery ground tray and intake manifold..

With some fine-grit (200-400) sandpaper, use a light coat of dielectric grease (aka connection protector, AutoZone, 99 cents blister pack) on all cleaned connection points / terminals / rings, your Sporty says -Thank You- for the 'new & improved' current flow to the frame and motor..

Also clean the fuel pump ground ring, tilt the rear seats forward -> to expose the carpet / cargo hatch, remove to expose the fuel pump ground ring, clean as above..

(Optional) Passenger cabin ground points: remove the side kick panels,

passenger side ground point mounted 1/2 up, black wires on ground ring, ECM ground point..
driver's side ground point mounted 1/2 up *behind fuse panel, Heater/Interior Lighting/Dash ground point..

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts