Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Spectra (manual) stalls randomly while i am going from in gear to idle/neutral/stopping. The dash lights come on (always the same ones: oil, engine, battery, and oddly enough, the parking brake light). When it stalls, the engine still sounds like it's on, but once i come to a stop, i can restart it again no problem. The engine never sounds like it stops throughout this.

The weirdest part is that twice, in the middle of this stalling, i restarted the engine and put it in reverse; the engine started revving up and up and my brakes weren't working. Fortunately, i was only going a few mph, so it did end up stopping.

The mechanic at the dealership (which i have had good luck with in the past) cannot reproduce this and has no idea what the issue might be. He tried once last week with a software update on the car because of a silent recall, and that didn't work. I'm sad, because i love my kia, and in 3 1/2 years, i have never had a problem.

Has any one else run into this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you checked all the obvious, vacuum leaks, TPS, proper fuel pressure, and good spark? That problem should not be to hard to track down. Try some things and let us know the results. Also, I dont remember the values for the TPS, but when my engine RPM was jumping around, it turned out after much aggravating troubleshooting, to be the TPS. You need subscription to Kia's service site to check TPS yourself with a digital multimeter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have taken my car into a Kia Mechanic as well as my personal mechanic and they cannot recreate the problem so they are not able to sovle it for me. I was hoping that someone might have figured it out so I can let my mechanic know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what I understand, most of the time when dash lights randomly come on in a car it tends to be the alternator failing. Have you taken the alternator in to get tested?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
alts dont start to die they just die.. it cant be the alt. check your ground connections maybe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a very strange problem with my Kia spectra about 7-8 months ago. It concerned intermittent power losses while driving and also stalling during idle. I took my car to an auto electrician and he traced it to a bad wire under the steering column that had seperated and was grounding to the frame intermittently and causing all kinds of whacky behavior. As soon as the wire was replaced my problems went away. Look under your steering wheel in the space above all the pedals. You'll see a thick cluster of wires. Inspect them all carefully looking for anything that looks damaged.

My vehicle is a manual transmission. This spool of wires would sometimes drop down and impede my feet from pressing on the pedals. A few times I had kicked them upward and probably caused the damage that way, haha.

Anyway, the shop did a very good job of making sure those wires never feel into the path of my kicking feet again.

:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by acworthpatrick@Feb 26 2006, 05:41 PM
I dont remember the values for the TPS, but when my engine RPM was jumping around, it turned out after much aggravating troubleshooting, to be the TPS. You need subscription to Kia's service site to check TPS yourself with a digital multimeter.
what else would be symptomatic of a faulty TPS? i took my car to advance auto parts (who check 'check engine' light problems for free) and they said i need a new TPS. not the error code, just that.... :huh:

my 02 spectra gs (manual) seems to drive ok for now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts