Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting my water hose flushed and a chemical thru it to clean mold and mildew found from a blockage of leaves in it. I am getting my back brakes replaced(drums). And my belt does not fit so they are going to tinker with that for me to stop it from squealing all the time. The first price was 852 dollars. I told them I cant do that I only have 600 dollars of savings. I was going to just pay for the look and leave but he told me hold on and he could give me something called a fleet discount. This fleet discount dropped it 676. My boyfriend is arguing with me because he wants me to take it somewhere else .. he seems to thinks its a ripoff but id rather just let them do it they have excellent ratings with AAA and BBB. I walked out thinking that was an okay price 676 which was just a lil over what I had saved and I want it done. I did kinda think it was high but I don't know how these things work. Is it too much? I remember seeing on the estimate each brake replacement was gunna be 55 dollars each. the rest I don't remember. Is it too hefty a price?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Water hose? Is that the screen washer supply?
Back brakes replaced? Are you prposing to have the brakes re-lined? Are you sure they need doing?
Is that the fan belt or something similar?

Around $250 the lot would seem about right if it's just $55 each for brakes as well as some cleaning and adjustments.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
The original post really doesn't make much sense...does it?
Sounds like it may be the air supply hose to the throttle body/plenum on the engine..Unless on the 02 there is a clean air supply hose to the HVAC that sucked in the leaves and was causing a stink...
Not enough proper info to make a judgment call...but it seams pretty high for what they claim they want to do... Get a second opinion and save the boyfriend and some cash..
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I am getting my water hose flushed and a chemical thru it to clean mold and mildew found from a blockage of leaves in it. I am getting my back brakes replaced(drums). And my belt does not fit so they are going to tinker with that for me to stop it from squealing all the time. The first price was 852 dollars. I told them I cant do that I only have 600 dollars of savings. I was going to just pay for the look and leave but he told me hold on and he could give me something called a fleet discount. This fleet discount dropped it 676. My boyfriend is arguing with me because he wants me to take it somewhere else .. he seems to thinks its a ripoff but id rather just let them do it they have excellent ratings with AAA and BBB. I walked out thinking that was an okay price 676 which was just a lil over what I had saved and I want it done. I did kinda think it was high but I don't know how these things work. Is it too much? I remember seeing on the estimate each brake replacement was gunna be 55 dollars each. the rest I don't remember. Is it too hefty a price?
The rotors and drums need replaced for brakes and as for a water pump, he told me it connects to something that naturally is supposed to leak condensation for the air conditioner. I'm not sure which belt. He didnt tell me which one. It makes a noise whenever I first start up the car and Im backing out. Anyway, this is everything I know that the service guy directly told me.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,960 Posts
Ok...I think I have an idea what you are saying...
First the water pump has nothing to do with the heating/cooling of the passenger compartment. The condenser (located inside the car) is used to cool (A/C) the passengers and like a cold glass bottle on a kitchen counter top it will sweat (condensate water in the air). The heat/cool box has a drain hose (probably the rubber hose you mentioned) that is attached to this box and is left to drain the condensed water to the ground/pavement. They probably are going to clean mold from the condenser, heater core, the box, and the rubber hose and if they are tearing down the dash to do so ..that's where the high labor costs come in. The belts and pulleys on this engine are nothing special and replacing a glazed belt and possibly sanding the surface of the inside of the pulleys, then adjusting the belt after a few hundred miles should solve your belt noise. The power steering belt is probably the culprit.. Have them check the motor mounts also as the Sephias are known for them decaying and creating lots of noise/vibration... especially when backing up. Parts for this car are available at rockauto.com if you can't find them locally... If all this includes doing the brakes I'd say they are not out of line on the charges.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts