Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vehicle was running fine. Filled the tank,started the car, it ran for 30 seconds then quit. Acted like it ran out of fuel. Starts up, runs for 30 or 40 seconds then erratic idle then stalls.
Throws no code
Replaced fuel pump
Replaced Throttle Position Sensor
Seems like something is shutting the fuel off.
Thinking of replacing cam position sensor next, then crank sensor.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Ed
Before you ask......258,000 miles......thats right!

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,108 Posts
Vehicle was running fine. Filled the tank,started the car, it ran for 30 seconds then quit. Acted like it ran out of fuel. Starts up, runs for 30 or 40 seconds then erratic idle then stalls.
Throws no code
Replaced fuel pump
Replaced Throttle Position Sensor
Seems like something is shutting the fuel off.
Thinking of replacing cam position sensor next, then crank sensor.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Ed
Before you ask......258,000 miles......thats right!
MAF sensor? IFS (ignition failure sensor)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its running!

Update: after installing the new fuel pump I could sometimes keep it running by pumping the fuel as it would try to stall, blowing white smoke.
After 2 weeks of letting it sit in my shop and the wife drive the gas guzzling suburban I decided to do something.
The bad fuel suggestion really got me thinking. I had replaced the TPS - (stupidly) the fuel pump and was getting ready to start replacing cam sensors etc.
But instead I took the fuel pump back out, (thankyou Kia for making that easy) and Im not being sarcastic they really did!
I then siphoned out all the gas from the tank (18gals), replaced the fuel pump and put 5 gals of fresh 93oct in.
Started it up and it ran without stalling, road tested it and so far so good. I am getting ready to drive it again to put about 10 more gals of gas in it.
Thank you Bruce2 for stating what seems now to be the obvious....I love forums.

·
Registered
'02 Sedona 3.5L
75 Posts
Glad to hear you had it figured out.
I always look for the newest station to fuel up even if it is not name brand.
The tanks in old stations may be leaking in water or something.

·
Registered
2003 KIA LX 3.5L V6
11 Posts
Replacing the crank position sensor fixed my stalling 2003 Kia Sedona 3.5L, 210K miles.
The code at dealership was PO335. Now runs fine.
No codes showing tip:
Tightening the gas cap 3 clicks keeps the check engine light off. Try running with a loosened gas cap, when check engine light comes on the codes can be diagnosed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts