Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
kia rio5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Moms car when you turn on the ignition to the run position nothing on the dash lights up. when you start the car . The odometer, gas gage, tech, speedometer, temperature, dash lights, and only the head lights are on and not the tail lights or park lights. when I turn on the the light. the dash light, tail lights and park lights come on and work fine. I've checked all the fuses and i think I found the drl module under the dash and it seems fine. im just not sure what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
kia rio5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I replaced the instrument cluster and still doesn't work. I found the drl module but cant get it off to check it. I'm not sure if that would cause the instrument cluster from working. I'm lost as to what to do next and I need the instrument cluster and the drl working in order for the car to pass motor vehicle inspection

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Sure sound's like a DRL issue with the lights. You have to remove it and open it up to check it out. Check the sticky post fix your DRL and save at the top of the forum to help maybe. For the instrament lights check the IG1/ IG2 fuse's out in the engine compartment by the battery hope this help's some good luck. Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
kia rio5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've went over all my fuses with a tester and their all in working order. I did read the forum for the drl but I can't get the plate out from underneath the dash to get the the drl off of it. I have small hands and I still don't have room under there to slide it off of the bracket

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I was looking at my book/schematics some more the bulbs should light in the on posisition of the ign switch not the run posisition. Thats the check feature the, cel should light up for 3 second's reguardless. I hope this helps some if your talking about the oil/air bag/od/antilock, lights ect. Put the key in and turn it one click the light's should light up turn it to the next position they should go out. Keep trying to get that DRL unit out and give it a check. I don't drive my car my son has it at college so i can't be sure but he will be home this weekend and i will check if i'm right. Good luck, Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
kia rio5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I managed to get the drl out. Its pretty much cooked. it has a really bad burn smell and the top half of the board looks toast. the only lights that come on my cluster is the dash light when you turn the lights on and the door indicator light saying when the door is open. Other then that the cluster pretty much doesn't. I'm hoping when I get a new drl that it fixes my issues I'm having.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sound's like you will fix your issue with the DRL module.

·
Registered
kia rio5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the drl module and none of my lights come on when you start the car. The instrument cluster still doesn't work. When I plug in the old module in, only my headlights come on. I'm last as to why my tail and dash light s aren't coming on with the headlights and as to why my instrument cluster isn't working

·
Registered
kia rio5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried new and used drls and got the same results. It seems like a wiring problem. I can't find a wiring diagram for the 02 kio

·
Registered
kia rio5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would anyone know what the volt readings should be for the two conectors that plug into the instrument cluster? I have some wires that are reading 4.86 volts and the rest are either reading between -0.05 to 0.03. Most of theses reading don't seem right to me. Any ideas on what could be causing these readings?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I forgot about this years ago the backlight's on my instrament cluster were out you know the potentiometer to make it brighter or dimmer on the dash. I kinda of remember it blowing a tail lamp fuse. I disconnected it and installed a jumper to bypass it maybe this will help some. Reguard's ronjohn

·
Registered
kia rio5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything else in the car works fine except for pretty much having a dead instrument cluster that only has the dash lights and door indicator light that works. It seems like there not enough or no power going through some of the wires going to the instrument cluster. But I cant find a wire diagram or volt readings to help solve this problem

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Did you get my private message i sent you just trying to help.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So your tail light's and drl light's are ok now? The fuse i replaced was the tail RH fuse if it help's any good luck with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts