Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone please help me. My 2002 Kia Rio Cinco just dead on the road and the mechanic is charging me 3295 to fix the engine. Isn't this engine under warranty if the car is not over or near 100,000 and only 2 years old?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you buy the car new? If so, and the engine did not die do to something that you did, then yes it is under warranty. Bring in your warranty papers to prove to them that it is covered under warranty. If you are at a non kia mechanic (a mechanic shop that is not part of the dealership) then they will probably charge you, then you send in paperwork and get reimbursed by kia. My advise, go to a kia dealer with a mechanic there.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even if you bought the car used it is still under warranty. Also the road-side assistance program will tow you to the nearest dealer at no charge. I know this for fact as I drive the exact same year and modle and had the transmision go out. Your owners manual has a card to fill out and send in to transfer warranty. There have been a couple recalls done to my car as a result of sendint the card in as well. One was to re-map the fueil injection computer. It makes it start a bit smoother with no lurches and will not die out. the other is for "a possible fuel rail leak"

transfer the warranty, call the road side assistance, let kia dealor take care of you, mine was no charge at all, not one dime. amazing!! And, that was at 45,000 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by Ingrid@Nov 1 2004, 04:30 PM
someone please help me. My 2002 Kia Rio Cinco just dead on the road and the mechanic is charging me 3295 to fix the engine. Isn't this engine under warranty if the car is not over or near 100,000 and only 2 years old?

My 2001 Kia just did the same thing - stopped instantly in the middle of the road. My mechanic says the timing belt broke, slipped whatever which caused the pistons to be damaged which came out to mean I needed a new engine. Kia says because I'm over the 100K I'm not covered. They can however get me a used engine - total cost $2700 + GST (Canada).

Apparently the Kia uses a timing belt rather than a chain - which can break with no warning. I will be reporting this to Transport Canada as I believe this to be an extremely dangerous manufacturing item. In order to get this into a recall situation as many people as possible have to report this to the Transportation Authority for wherever you live. I've read about other owners who have just about been killed when this happened to them on the highway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just thought you might want to know...it probably wasn't your timing belt at all! I just had the samre thing happen to my kia and my mechanic discovered that it was a manufacturers defect - one that kia won't recognize at this time because they would have to cover it under warranty! The true cause of your seized engine (and this is just a guess as I have not looked at your specific engine) is the keyway. If there is room for ANY movement of the pin, ity leads to several problems...most often a stripped timing belt and seized motor. Kia mechanics just look at the timing belt and assume it is the cause of your problems. Oh, and just an added note...since I didn't use their incompetent mechanics and therefore discovered the TRUE reason for my seized engine, they are refusing to honor my warranty!! see ya in the papers as I will be picketing their dealership in Victorville, California in the very near future!! It may cost me for a new engine, but it is going to cost them more than if they had just done the fair and honorable thing...like honor their warranty!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by iowarider@Nov 20 2004, 04:15 PM
Even if you bought the car used it is still under warranty.

I think newer years or perhaps just different models that is not so. When I went looking for an 03 or 04 used Optima, they said that they 10/100 warranty was not transferable. Maybe it was just my Kia dealer. IDK <_<

1 - 6 of 6 Posts