Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having sorted out the handbrake issues, I'm still having trouble passing the annual inspection.

The car has failed the inspection for the ABS light not coming on on turning the ignition on, ie during the self test period.

I've looked at KGIS and have gone through the ABS troubleshooting guide self-diagnosis procedure.

I have followed the 'if Hi/Scan pro is not available' part of the procedure and used a jumper cable to ground between pins i and r of the diagnostics connector.

On turning the ignition on in anticipation of seeing a fault code series displayed there was no flashing of the ABS light at all.

The checking functionality part of the diagnostics asks to verify if the ABS light comes on and then extinguishes, and if not then go to detail inspection, but I'm not sure where to look for the detailed inspection!

Could this mean simply that the ABS light has blown, or is there something here that I am missing.

I cannot remember if the ABS light was functioning before I did the work on the handbrake (which included replacing drums etc) and neither can the inspecting garage. If there was a fault with the ABS system (one of the sensor rings had a gouge worn around it from the handbrake actuating arm contacting it) I'm assuming the ABS warning light would come on and a fault code would be visible through carrying out the self diagnosis??

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Are you SURE you have ABS?????????

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Try changing the lamp it is not hard to do 2 screws and some clips all around the dash and it pulls out it could be just a bulb or bad connection. good luck you did the jumper and the light did not blink i hope it is that simple for you the ecm checks the light when you turn the key after that it's up to the abs to make it blink . Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
2001 and 2002 are not led light's at least not mine, incandesant bulbs

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've checked the bulb and that is working (I swapped it around with a couple of other bulbs to check and it's fine).

I've ordered a couple of sensor rings to replace the ones on the rear drums (the only ones I've disturbed) and as said before one of them has some radial damage on.

Thanks for all the help so far.

It's a bit of a puzzle as I can't work out why the light isn't coming on at all, even in self test when the ignition is turned on!

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Is the ABS fuse ok? You said some damage it may have poped.

·
Registered
Sedona 05
4 Posts
I've checked the bulb and that is working (I swapped it around with a couple of other bulbs to check and it's fine).

I've ordered a couple of sensor rings to replace the ones on the rear drums (the only ones I've disturbed) and as said before one of them has some radial damage on.

Thanks for all the help so far.

It's a bit of a puzzle as I can't work out why the light isn't coming on at all, even in self test when the ignition is turned on!

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards
Dave
Would of been helpful to of had an update, I have similar issues and was reading this post only to find it stopped here and no remedy was posted!!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Would of been helpful to of had an update, I have similar issues and was reading this post only to find it stopped here and no remedy was posted!!
This post is 5 years old, the OP has not been back since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts