Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, first time poster having rear brake drum troubles.

Car failed it's annual inspection (MoT) due to inefficient parking brake and grinding noises coming from rear brakes.

After taking the drums off I have found the rhs ABS ring on the drum with a groove ground down all around. It looks like the parking brake actuating lever has travelled too far and has contacted the abs ring.

Short story, I have replaced all brake cables, drums and shoes, but am still getting some grinding noises when the parking brake is applied when the car is moving (as it's done on the inspection test).

I have a Rio workshop manual and have registered with KGIS, but the manual for the rear brake seems to leave some gaps out on the re-assembly side.

If my mind is right I set the adjusters to the smallest setting (to enable the drum to be put back on) replace the drum and then adjust the brakes to 'set' the adjusters??

How is this part done, as there doesn't seem to be any reference to the adjuster re-assmebly in either the manual that I have or KGIS.

The parking brake section of the manual tells you how to attach the cable and then refers you to the rear brake section to fit the drum. This section then lists the following as the next step:

REASSEMBLY
1. Install the seals on the pistons.
2. Lubricate the wheel cylinder bore and pistons with the specified brake fluid.
3. Install the return spring, pistons, and dust boots.
4. Install the ball seal and the bleeder screw.

Nothing about the adjuster mechanism, or how the self-adjusters actually work!

I may be missing something really basic here, but I am used to drum brakes having adjusters on the outside of the brake that can be manually adjusted (I have a 1943 Willys MB rebuilt by myself).

Can anyone clarify the assembly procedure for the rear brakes please!

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
It's been awhile but when I did my 2004 Rio it WAS just like the typical drum brake adjusters. It could be adjusted from outside, but don't recall if there was a hole in the drum face or if it was behind in the backing plate (like most cars)...???? But yes you basically assemble it small and place drum on, and either push the adjuster to tighten or spend 30 minutes backing and stopping and backing and stopping and backing and stopping and ..well, you get the picture. I don't have it anymore or I'd look...but I remember it being just like a hundred other cars I've done.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
Ahhh yes, I just went to Kiatech and the don't show as good a reassembly picture on the 2002 as they do on the 2004. Go to the service info area for 2004 and under Brake/brake/reardrum/installation you'll see a good description. And sorry my first post is wrong as there is no "turning" adjuster to push the shoes out, it is a ratcheting type adjuster you have to pry. Check out Kiatechinfo.com under the 04 model info.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info on the 'missing' procedures,that's starting to make some sense now!

Regards

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts