Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[email protected]

I bought the car used with 14K miles. The dealer claims that I would only get a 36k warranty. I currently have 70k miles. It is an automatic and also has the manual shifter. The problem is that it quite frequently jerks real hard and will only shift in 2nd or 3rd, cutting the car off and re-cranking temporarily solves the problem until it occurs again. I have noticed that it doesn't do it hardly at all with a full tank of gas....very strange. I'm scared to know that I may end up having the transmission replaced.....at 70K+ miles......ouch!!!!
Anyone had any problems like this? Have there been any recalls pertaining to Transmissions or electrical components that would cause this type of problem?
just curious before I empty my savings account....

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
I own a '02 LX V6 Optima and haven't had any transmission problems although some people on this forum have reported similiar problems like yours. I would do a search of the forum for those posts and see how they resolved things with Kia.
Before spending money, I would get a second opinion if you have already gotten the first opinion on what is wrong. Good luck. Btw, I love my Optima!!

Did you buy your Optima in the states? If so, you are entitled to 5 years and 60,000 miles warranty. The 10 years/100,000 miles powerplant warranty for this model year applied only to the first owner of record. This policy changed with later model years.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,978 Posts
Yes, I would have to agree with Schnauzer. If you could, take it to AAMCO or some company similar to that since all they do is fix transmissions. But that's my opinion, you don't have to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! for the suggestions! I talked to a AAMCO transmission guy today and he said he would diagnose it for free!...cool!.....just have to find the time to take it by there and drop it off! ...know what I mean?

·
Registered
134 Posts
:blush: Schnauzer...........You must know something I don't.........I am in agreement with you as I understand it is that the standard warranties are as you stated: 5 yrs. or 60K and 10 yrs. or 100K for original owner. The 5 yr. 60K is the only warranty that is transferred to a second, third, etc. owner. But you go on to say that this policy changed with later models????????????? I think that the warranties haven't changed but maybe you can enlighten us as I have a friend who just bought a new Amanti and the paper work shows the warranties listed above as still in force ( he was also verbally told by dealer)...........any info on new warranties????????????????????regards.rayray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts