Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima 2.4 Lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all, I have a 2002 optima that I have been tasked with fixing. My paw-n-law was attempting to service his cars transmission when he was stopping off the trans fluid, the car died and would not crank. He replaced the fuel pump with no change. I placed my OTC Genysis scanner with only the crankshaft position sensor code. I replaced the sensor as well as new timing belt. No change. Come to find out the code was thrown because he unhooked it while spinning the engine over. Now no codes present. I have rpm through the scanner so I feel the crank sensor is registering. I have checked injector pulse which is good and I can hear the fuel pump energizing. The ecm relay behind d the center console was also replaced after researching the forums here, with no change. Paw-n-law purchased new coils to "help" with no change. I dont have an assistant to help with the checking the spark as of me typing this, so I cannot verify spark. Anything I'm missing that I can try in the meantime? Also i have a single wire near the camshaft senso that is dangling and i cannot find where it would plug in. Thank you all for any help.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,729 Posts
Try some starter fluid.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan, 17 Ford Edge Sport, 15 Mustang, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,729 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes tried starting fluid no difference.
Then it's not solely a fuel delivery issue, and more complex to diagnose.

I replaced the sensor as well as new timing belt.
I would start by rechecking the timing marks - take direct inline photos and post them.

Follow that with a compression test.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Do you have spark? Have you checked the fuel pressure at the injector rail?
These engines will not run if the crank and cam sensors are not in sync... If timing is off they also won't run... You need fuel, air, compression, and spark... remove any one and the engine won't run... Sounds like you need a "scope" to examine the cam and crank waveforms... Also have you checked ALL fuses to make sure one isn't blown? Your father-in-law probably moved wires around while under the hood... Wire insulation and connectors (plugs/sockets) on the older KIAs can get brittle and wires can short together if the insulation falls off...Connectors can also come apart from engine heat... Lot's of variables.. Because it ran before he got under the hood I would suggest checking the areas where he was working... Because he/you tried starting fluid and that did no good... I would look to make sure there is spark the one variable you did not mention...
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima 2.4 Lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the responses, yes the car cranks over but does not run. I have not checked fuel pressure as of yet and I will get pictures of the timing marks in the morning. I double check and triple checked timing marks, but I am human. The update for today. The car cranked after fixing the harness which supports the injectors, coils. Car ran but poorly. I pulled the codes and got P0320 and P0350. I started smelling plastic burning and shut it off and noticed one of the new coils had burst, possibly the cause of P0350. Did compression test as well and all numbers were in close proximity of each other. Thanks again for all the responses and I hope I answered all questions.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima 2.4 Lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Dave, forgot one of your questions about the fuses, yes all were good inside and under the hood.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima 2.4 Lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I am back working on the car and I'm checking the new crank sensor I installed. I have chassis ground on the black wire and I have 12 volts at the red wire and the blue wire I have roughly 2.5 volts on the signal wire while cranking the engine. I unfortunately do not have access to a scope to check the digital signal from the blue wire of the sensor. Can anyone tell me if that sounds too low of the signal wire switching? Thanks again for any and all help. Ron 1004 I haven't forgot about the request for the pictures of the timing marks, I just wanted to see if I had a wire problem. Thanks again all

·
Registered
2002 Kia Optima 2.4 Lx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the frequent post. Update version 2...so after doing all the research on this car and the frequent issues people have, I swapped out the new ignition failure sensor with a used one again....and it cranked up!!!! The tachometer was not working but no check engine light was on so I scanned for codes and I got P0320 crankshaft position sensor, immediately started smelling something funny and the coil for number 1 and 4 started heating up....keep in mind it ran for less than a minute, and the tach started jumping up to 1000 or so.....I unhooked the battery after I shut it off to hopefully save new coil number 2 from smoking....I'm stumped....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts