Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter bought this 2002 Kia Magentis and it keeps shutting off while driving, had to the mechanics several times but they aren't sure whats going on so I figured I would try on this forum. She says when she's driving along the RPM gauge drops to 0 and then it shuts off, she can't restart it right away, has to wait a few minutes then it starts fine. I went and picked her up today as it stopped again, I drove it to the shop with no problems. They had just replaced the plugs and coil wire yesterday and seemed fine but today its acting up again in the same way. The only other thing the mechanic said it might be is the Crank Censor but he wasn't sure, anyone else have this problem with their Magentis? Help would be greatly appreciated as she is so tired of fixing this car and so am I. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know if you finally got this fixed and I am not a mechanic or even particularly automotively inclined, and also don't know if your car even has a distributor, but this sounds a LOT like what I went through with my 94 Mazda 626 and it WAS the distributor. The tach would suddenly just drop to zero and the car would die while driving down the road; would not start right up but would after a few minutes. So even though this is not a Kia experience (I am having power window probs with our Kia Optima) but thought i would share that with you in case it helps...

·
Registered
4 Posts
One thing about this if it IS the distributor, it is difficult for the mechanic to diagnose unless it is actually doing it; in my case it grew progressively worse and happened more often until the mechanic was able to make it happen for him. Hope that you have gotten it diagnosed and fixed by now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts