Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems with my idle on cooler mornings. The car starts fine, and I drive until I come to a stop, then it sputters, shake and sometimes shuts off.

The car has going thru a lot of gas.

Has anyone experience this?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, the check engine light is on with three codes:

P0171 Cylinder number 1 denotes bank 1

P0128 Coolant thermostat coolant temp below operating range

P013A - code not found

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
The ECT is responsible for the RICH condition required at cold start, if the sender is N/S or the thermostat is stuck open the engine temp will not rise enough to put the ECU into closed loop.

In Open loop condition the engine will continue to run rich, long term,
the CAT will suffer (BURN)
fuel consumption up,
cylinder wall wash down..... Philip

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, but I'm not a pro at this--just trying to understand and get involved with fixing things for myself.
What would checking the temp with an IR gun tell me? I think the engine is running on the hot side even though my temp guage shows it as normal.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,185 Posts
You would use an IR thermometer to measure coolant temp at the thermostat housing (follow the top radiator hose -> the housing, or with engine / coolant system cold, remove the radiator pressure cap, insert a high-temp thermometer, and note temp. rise while the engine is warming up to confirm the (mechanical) thermostat is working properly, e.g.:

temp rises to 180-190 degrees (f),
thermostat opens properly..

--
If you have an OBDII scanner, you can also (compare) the thermometer temp. reading vs. the Engine Coolant Temp sensor (ECT) reading from the ECM to help determine if you have an issue with the coolant temp sensor and/or related wiring,

There are (2) sensors at the thermostat housing, (1) is the dash temp gauge sensor, (1) is the ECT (electronic) sensor: the gauge sensor is a one-wire sensor on the left of the housing, the ECT sensor is a (2) wire sensor on the right side of the housing on the 2k Sporty here,

--
The ( P013A ) code is related to the O2 sensors, and is related to the 02 heater circuit not getting enough power. Try searching "P013A", without quotes, on this forum to pull up threads relating to this code, or post back and I will post up some links..

--
Common to both codes is having good electrical power to the motor and vehicle, so would recommend cleaning up all ground points in the engine compartment: battery termnals, battery to ground tray, ground tray to frame, ground tray to motor strap, this way you know your readings are based on (expected) voltage supplied,

Hope this helps.

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 10 of 10 Posts