Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum and I am looking for help. I have a 2002 kia sportage with 2.0 eng. I have changed the timing belt before without any problems but,when I changed the timing belt this time and the engine starts spark nocking. it never has done this before I don't know if it just happened to start when I changed the belt or if it is something I missed this time. all marks were lined up by manual instruction as before. after I filled the tank up it started spark nocking. add additive to it and stops for awhile. so I thought bad gas.after another tank of gas still has spark nock when engine is under load,like when running ac. it tells you in manual to dis connect battery so sensor can reset.while you are changing belt out. is there a way to adjust timing?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

re: way to (manually) adjust timing, no, the ECM controls timing, no manual adjustment.

It's very important for the motor to be correctly aligned for (Static) mechanical timing, so the ECM is adjusting timing properly.

If the spark knock started after the TB change, if at all suspect, recommend re-verifying (Static) mechanical timing of the (I)ntake, (E)xhaust, and Crank pulley index marks to eliminate the possibility one or both are off, or the belt got pinched during the install (would visually Q/A the belt fully),

Tip: when installing the TB, use a piece of metal flat stock between the (I) and (E) cams, to lock them in place, using the upper timing cover bolt between the (2) cam pulleys.

With the crank index at TDC, set the belt, then loosen up the bolt so you can lightly draw any excess slack between the cams back towards the pulley adjuster, remove the piece of flat stock, and proceed to turn 2 revolutions clockwise to "S", then lock the tension adjuster bolt.

If any question on crank TDC, you can also remove spark plug 1 and insert a dowel or screwdriver to visually verify true piston TDC against the crank index mark..

--
Would also recommend checking the coil pack wiring pigtail (runs between the coil packs and connector at back of motor), any cracking on the connectors or brittleness / wiring issues, I'd replace it.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 2 of 2 Posts