Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 El Camino 2002 Kia Sportage
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a year ago my 4wd stopped working, from looking on here the best solution seemed to be replacing the stock hubs with the Warn manual hubs. Well I did that went and put it up on a lift and put in 4wd and all the wheels turned. I thought that was the end of it. Well recently it does not seem to be working properly or maybe it is working just kind of "half way". Like the front wheels don't want to take any weight or have any torque in them. Am I missing something else? I had the fluids changed in both front and rear end of the car, It is pretty well maintained. Is there something else I need to do??
I also do not hear any noises, I don't have any leaks everything else seems fine.

2002 Kia Sportage 4 door 148K
Thanks now for any answers.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Greetings,

If the front driveshaft to the differential is turning, then would recommend removing / cleaning / regreasing the Warn manual hubs, if still no joy, then would have the front differential further checked, this on a professional lift so 4x4 operation can be observed safely,

Regards & Happy New Year,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any advice on greasing and cleaning the hubs? I have never messed with this type of stuff to much.
Thanks

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Any advice on greasing and cleaning the hubs? I have never messed with this type of stuff to much.
Thanks
All these hubs, sooner than later suffer from neglect... If it has too much grease, too high viscosity or old/dry lube, it will fail.... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
If the hubs are really nasty, you can clean them with hot soapy water and a scrub brush. Rinse clean, dry, and regrease with a tablespoon of fresh grease on each side.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
I set the hubs in a degreaser until ALL the old junk is out and the mechanism moves freely, then I apply the new low temp grease with a paint brush (a very light coat).
I have also substituted with a dry spray graphite (bike chain).... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
3 Posts
Manual Hub Mait

How often do the manual hubs need cleaned/re-greased? Just had manual hubs put on this year but want to keep em working well

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wondering what is more likely hub maintenance is the problem or a bad transfer case???

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
The transfer are really tough ... the hubs are not.
If driven in deep mud or water clean after each use. Once a year under normal driving conditions.
Don't forget to anti seize the bolts an atv the mating surfaces.
+ 1 Aquannaut20 good idea bike lube , use it all the time on my bike .

chief

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
I have also substituted with a dry spray graphite (bike chain).... Philip
How interesting, I use that stuff on my motorcycle cables. Does it stand up well to freeway speeds? Is a specific brand or type needed, or should any dry graphite lube work? I'm using Dry Slide on the bike.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
I started using the Dry graphite spray lube when fighting issues when temperatures went to -30* and below, primarily on auto hubs. The grease would not move around the internal parts and so seized the hubs.... I some times added an oz of ATF before sealing the units.... Fixed the non work issues.... Philip

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, Thanks for all the replies and tips, I don't believe that I will use that graphite spray as I never really have to worry about temps below 20 F here. But I will however take off the hubs and clean them out very well, with some degreaser then I will re add some low temp grease, I found a suggestion for this in another post. I will post on here ASAP with results.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
98 KIA Sportage beater with uninstalled 3.5" lift kit, tastefully lifted 2001 Jeep WJ
14 Posts
After cleaning and Lubricating the manual hubs, did it fix the problem? Our 98 is doing the same but with re-worked OEM hubs...new vacuum lines, cleaned and lubed, seals, etc. when vac is applied, the hubs lock (without 4X4 actuated with only vacuum applied to the hubs - axles do not rotate freely on either side but do when vac is disengaged). When lifted and the 4X4 liver actuated, all 4 wheels turn...however the front does not seen to actually pull weight since in the yard I can spin the rear tires in 4X4 but the front does not seem to pull or spin at all (Highway tread tires)....just wondering if your problem turned out to be hub issue, transfer case, or other?

Thanks
L

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm pretty sure it is the hubs, I am going to get the auto hubs and try them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts