Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all,

Recently I bought over a 2nd hand Kia Spectra LS model. 2002 make. I realised that she has a very big appetite for fuel. My fuel consumption rests at about 9.5km per litre. I think that is absurd, therefore I figure there could be problems with the fuel line, because I drive about 2-2.5k rpm only. If there are any Spectra owners, could you let me know your fuel consumption???

Singapore

Boggled...

·
Registered
2002 Kia Spectra
17 Posts
I own a 2002 spectra also. I get anywhere from 25-30 miles per gallon depending on driving conditions. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree this car is hard on fuel. It is much higher than it's rated. I use a 97 neon for my work because I drive a lot of kilometers in a year. I only use about 75% as much gas as my 2004 Kia Spectra, and my old neon has 329,000 kms at this time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are lots of things that can cause poor fuel mileage. If it's a previously enjoyed vehicle, then it's worth inspecting:

1) Tire pressure - this is a big one!!!
2) Air filter - a very likely culprit for any vehicle!
3) Clogged fuel filter
4) Poor wheel alignment
5) 3rd party air dams / skirting kits (can change the aerodynamics)
6) Exhaust issues
7) Poor spark (plugs, wires, etc)

.... the nice thing is that these are almost all very easy to check yourself, and most I would check on any used vehicle anyway. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - and it applies to vehicle maintainence too. :)

Devin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for advice, Pinchy.
I have a question about tire pressure. In the owner's manual it says it should be 2,0 for the front wheels and 2,2 for the rear. What if they were inflated a little more, would it make a difference?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It will make a difference if you over-inflate your tires - but you sacrifice traction. By over-inflating, you make the tire rounder, with less of the actual rubber touching the ground. This means you will lose traction, but reduced friction means less fuel to achieve the same results. I wouldn't reccomend it - it can increase your braking distances dramatically. Do it with caution. :)

Devin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am driving 2000 KIA Shuma GS 1.8 Ltr. The fuel consumption? She drinks a lot of fuel man 1 liter for about 7 km only.

I inflate the original fitted tyres (Kumho Powermax 769) at 35 psi. Of course this is much higher then their recomendation. But at that pressure the traction wears nicely even. I have tried varius lower pressures before and feel the best is 35 psi (comparing the driving comfort vs tires re inflation period as well as the petrol consumption).

·
Registered
31 Posts
With 117,000 miles, I recently added up all the fuel consumed vs miles driven since new (Feb '02). My '02 Spectra with 5 spd gets 33.26 MPG. My driving style is no granny-going-to-church. I got a standard in order to use the RPM curve. On the highway I travel about 75-80mph. I find above 80 the fuel consumption tapers off quickly. I changed the plugs once...somewhere around 60k, and haven't changed fuel filter or air filter yet. Change the oil faithfully at 4k intervals.

Just some real world feedback.

Mark in MA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts