Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with the transmission, I think. My car seems to stick in
2nd gear. Sometimes if I park, shut her off then back on, she does fine. But today I couldn't get it to straighten out. I don't see a dipstick for the transmission so I am guessing it's sealed. It has 143,000 miles on it and I bought it used about 5 years ago, been a great car. But a mechanic I took it to for the brakes said the car was full of rust underneath and when he took the brakes off he said he got lots of rust, dust out.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,957 Posts
There is a sticky in the 1997~2003 Spectra portion of these forums about KIA Spectra shifting problems originally addressed by Loyal 2.7T.
I involves a 2000 Sephia (early Spectra) with mileage the same as yours. He had problems similar to yours and through some unconventional means he has returned total functionality to the transmission. It seams that the transmission was designed by Mazda and Ford and when it was cast in aluminum the casting reacts with the transmission fluid creating a gunk/goo that collects in the lower pan, the valve body and the metal "filters". It is aggravated by not changing the fluid every 30k miles (by the owners manual).
Before trashing the transmission (or car) you might want to try what JesZek (Loyal 2.7L) did or at least have a mechanic do it.
There should be a dip stick for the tranny...you just didn't find it yet.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
2002 Kia Spectra with shifting problem

I own a 2002 Kia Spectra GSX (automatic). When I drive the car and every time it wants to shift it lags and while it's lagging, the rpm needle jumps up. My brother and dad own a shop. I don't have money for a new transmission due to me being on S.S.I. Maybe if I know what the the problem is, then I can buy the part in hopes of fixing it and the problem go away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts