Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
sedona 2002
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions on a 2002 Kia Sedona.

1. The Air Conditioner works great in the front and in the ceiling vents in the rear even on really hot days last summer. The heater in the rear near the 3rd row passenger side blows hot air that will eventually heat up the whole van. However, the front vents will not blow hot air no matter what temperature you turn the dial to, it only blows cold air!

Is there a motor that has gone out in the dash or something that swaps the sources? any tips on what part it is likely and where it may be located is needed. We're freezing help!

2. The gas tank clicks off every few seconds while filling up and it takes a tiresome 20 minutes to pump a full tank. The gas just continuously backs up to the gas cap and clicks off the pump nozzle. I would guess it is some kind of blockage in the inlet pipe from the gas cap down to the tank, or maybe there is some sort of blocked "vent" tube that allows the displaced air/vapors to escape (my truck has one of these tubes).

3. There seems to be a pretty major oil leak near the front passenger tire. It leaks 2 quarts a day (maybe this should be #1 :eek: ). I have no ramps to lift it up and take a look, but its underneath the serpentine belt area, it could be the oil pan or seal maybe? All I can see underneath it is where it drips off of this flat plate that is at the bottom and blocking the view.

Thanks to whomever can help!

·
Registered
2005 sodona 3.5
10 Posts
I can try to answeer the frist question, it sounds like the heater coor is stoped up or valve is not opening up, their is alos a smal door that should open up thats controled buy a knob on the heater control it controles the defrosters and directs air in difer'ent direction on the floor then out the vents This is a pain to fix.
2nd question, I would gess theirs a blockage in the vent line in the filler tub you might try blowing air through it.

·
Registered
1999 Hyundai Elantra Wagon, 2003 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Sedona, 2007 Hyundai Tucson
48 Posts
Try dribbling in the fuel as slowly as you can. Sounds like somebody overfilled the tank too much and exploded the charcoal canister. You can get around it by dribbling in the gas. Oil leak sounds like the front main seal is blown. Hopefully you don't have crank walk, which means new motor time. You'll have to remove the timing belt to replace the seal, which is a major PITA on this car.

·
Registered
sedona 2002
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can try to answeer the frist question, it sounds like the heater coor is stoped up or valve is not opening up, their is alos a smal door that should open up thats controled buy a knob on the heater control it controles the defrosters and directs air in difer'ent direction on the floor then out the vents This is a pain to fix.
2nd question, I would gess theirs a blockage in the vent line in the filler tub you might try blowing air through it.
When the front heater worked, turning the temp knob you could hear an audible thwunk of that flap changing over from hot to cold to hot. That sound is absent. So leads me to think the flap motor is bad, is this in the dash somewhere?

This one has a vent line? I don't know if all cars have them or not, but I have not seen underneath this van very closely, is it usually like a black tube that goes up higher than the tank and turn downward? what is the filler tube, is that the gas tank?

·
Registered
sedona 2002
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try dribbling in the fuel as slowly as you can. Sounds like somebody overfilled the tank too much and exploded the charcoal canister. You can get around it by dribbling in the gas. Oil leak sounds like the front main seal is blown. Hopefully you don't have crank walk, which means new motor time. You'll have to remove the timing belt to replace the seal, which is a major PITA on this car.
I try dribbling in the gas slowly and it will still eventually make the gas pump click off once it backs up. Either theres an air escape tube or a blockage limiting the volume/seconds regardless of the flow rate I try, it hasn't gotten better or worse in the last 2 years. I am getting a wicked fore arm work out at the pump!

Engine seems to run normally despite leak, I just have to put oil in it everytime I drive it. But I do sometimes detect a hiccup/misfire coinciding with a brief check engine light that goes off. I could probably pull of replacing the oil pan myself, but diving into the cams/valves/timing belts is out of my range.

·
Registered
1999 Hyundai Elantra Wagon, 2003 Kia Sedona, 2012 Kia Sedona, 2007 Hyundai Tucson
48 Posts
Main seal is not accessed by the oil pan. You remove the timing belt cover and the timing belt to do that. Look for instructions on how to do a timing belt. But if you've never done one before, don't bother. It's not a picnic.

·
Registered
sedona 2002
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can someone confirm what i think the oil leak is?

See the pictures, one is from under mine with what looks to be a blown crankshaft seal, there were parts of the rubber seal hanging down, but no idea for sure. The other picture is a 2002 kia sedona with a clear view of the crankshaft pulley, well right behind that pully and parallel with it is that thick rubber looking gasket.

So how would i fix this? take passenger tire off, wheel well, off, serpentine belt off, break crankshaft bolt, remove pulley, replace seal?

THanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
It looks like a picture of your main seal completely blown and part of it hanging out the crank pulley. You fix that by following ALL the procedure for changing your timing belt. After you get the timing belt off, then you can remove the seal from BEHIND the timing belt sprocket and replace. See instructions for changing your timing belt.

·
Registered
sedona 2002
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like a picture of your main seal completely blown and part of it hanging out the crank pulley. You fix that by following ALL the procedure for changing your timing belt. After you get the timing belt off, then you can remove the seal from BEHIND the timing belt sprocket and replace. See instructions for changing your timing belt.
Thanks for helping jsinton and southwind. The gasket hanging down was what was left of the lower timing belt cover inside gasket. Somehow the lower cover wiggled its way out enough to where the alternator belt sawed 2 lines across the cover on either side of crankshaft. It was shredded. fragments everywhere, all in the timing belt compartment, all 5 of the bolts to hold it on where destroyed which might explain why it wiggled out. The crankshaft angle sensor was also barely hanging on, it was in 3 pieces but was still working and stayed plugged in.

About a week ago I noticed the power steering was really lagging from a stand still and working after 10mph. Well, I know why, the upper left timing cover wiggled its way out an inch or so and ground its way into the tensioner pully on the power steering belt side of the harmonic balancer/crankshaft. That pully was seized (pully shape burned into cover too). Never did find the main oil leak, it looked like a pretty fresh flow out of the bottom of the top cover which I never removed so it was probably one of the 4 cam sprocket seals.

With the plummeting kbb value of this car and a top dollar sale of *maybe* $2,200 if I fixed it up, I decided to take all my parts back to autozone and put the thing back together for sale. I cleaned out probably a 1/3 cup of jagged plastic fragments and oil sludge from the timing compartment. Anyone of these could have skipped the timing. I also clipped off the jagged loose remains hanging off the cover, and reassembled the timing covers. There is a bit of a gap but its behind the crankshaft at least giving it some protection. On the plus side, the power steering is no longer in need of repair, it works great now that the part of the timing cover seizing it is gone. Wanna buy it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is main seal ?
Is it timing belt or camshaft or crankshaft seal ?

If I change timing belt, should I also replace main seal along with water pump ?
If so, how do I get to main seal ?

Do I have to remove timing belt sprocket (left and right, both ?)?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is main seal ?
Is it timing belt or camshaft or crankshaft seal ?

If I change timing belt, should I also replace main seal along with water pump ?
If so, how do I get to main seal ?

Do I have to remove timing belt sprocket (left and right, both ?)?
:)the main seal is behind the hrmonic balncer ,and yes if your doing that much work change ur waterpump and new belts/hoses

1 - 11 of 11 Posts