Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c wasn't working, it blows cold air for a bit after adding refrigerant but it doesn't last long. Figured it wasn't the compressor, must be a leak. I added some refrigerant with ultraviolet dye and found it was leaking through a hose running from the compressor to the condenser, don't think it was leaking anywhere else. I took it to the only shop within a good 30 miles to see if they could change it for me and now I'm hearing I must also replace the receiver drier and expansion valve or risk some sort of contamination. I was quoted near a grand, some $375 in parts and at least another $500 in labor. Was wondering if this seemed normal to anyone? Do you think making a trip to another shop would make much of a difference price-wise? If not, would it be a terribly difficult job to do on one's own?

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
My a/c wasn't working, it blows cold air for a bit after adding refrigerant but it doesn't last long. Figured it wasn't the compressor, must be a leak. I added some refrigerant with ultraviolet dye and found it was leaking through a hose running from the compressor to the condenser, don't think it was leaking anywhere else. I took it to the only shop within a good 30 miles to see if they could change it for me and now I'm hearing I must also replace the receiver drier and expansion valve or risk some sort of contamination. I was quoted near a grand, some $375 in parts and at least another $500 in labor. Was wondering if this seemed normal to anyone? Do you think making a trip to another shop would make much of a difference price-wise? If not, would it be a terribly difficult job to do on one's own?
I've replaced the hose before without doing the expansion valve or receiver dryer. Unless they know that debris has gotten into the valve or dryer from a bearing going out in the A/C compressor, there really isn't a reason to replace anything else besides the hose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts