Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused: I have a 2002 Kia Rio and it has less than 60 000km's on it to this point in time. Over the past three years, the dealership that I've taken my car to for servicing has replaced the wheel cylinders at least 3+ times, stating they were leaking. Also, they have replaced the wheel bearings at least the same number of times. In January, I had the rear wheel bearings serviced -- removed, cleaned, repacked -- and just today when I had the car in for servicing, the dealership advised that the rear wheel bearings were seized, the rear brakes were seized in the 'on' position and that the rear wheel bearings needed to be replaced in order for the brakes to return to working properly. I'm not mechanically inclined myself, and I'm not sure if this is some kind of issue with the car, or bad parts or bad service or if because I'm female the dealership is 'inventing' issues with my car. The car was displaying no symptoms and was booked for just an oil change. The issue with the wheel cylinders and bearings was apparently discovered during a spring tune-up that I figured was a good idea to have done. My understanding of cars is limited, but I'm presuming (and I hope correctly) that if wheel bearings or wheel cylinders are having some kind of issue that the vehicle would be displaying some sort of symptom of this sort of failure? I would imagine some sort of noise or difficulty in turning or something along those lines?

I'm mostly just looking for information and input about either wheel bearings or wheel cylinders and how often these should normally require to be replaced. Also looking for information as to if it's an issue with the car for the wheel cylinders to be leaky and whatnot. Any information about either wheel bearings or wheel cylinders would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio 2011 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
817 Posts
I have about half the milage you have on your vehicle and I havn't touched either.. And I bet my is beat on alot harder then yours.. Though that being said I drive an 04.. I recall them having issues with the 01 and 02 Rios with wheel bearing issues more so then the 03-05 Rios.. Secondly there is a proper installation of rear wheels bearings which involves shiming and proper adjustment.. Which from some of the stories I hear some dealerships don't end up doing it because they do not have the proper shims in stock.. Thirdly if they have done this 3 time in 60K miles and it's due again I think it is an issue with the technician working on the vehicle.. Has it been to the same dealership every time.. If so, bring in all the paper work stating the amount of times it has been improperly repaired and the amount of times you have had to return to have it fixed.. There should be some type of warrenty on the repairs.. Especially if they can't seem to get it right..

Make a big huge stink about it and see where it gets you.. Worst case call Kia America and talk to them about the issue (providing all of the work was done at a Kia Dealership) I love my Rio but I'm fed up with the crappy service Kia Dealerships put out..

Dan

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
107 Posts
I sure can't imagine replacing a wheel cylinder three times. For that matter, I don't think that I've ever replaced a wheel cylinder on anything with less than 90,000 miles on it.

My 2001 Kia has a little over 60,000 miles on it and I've never replaced a wheel cylinder or wheel bearing. However, I've also heard that they do have wheel bearing issues. That wouldn't have anything to do with the wheel cylinders, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find it hard to believe that rear wheel bearings would be 'seized' thus locking your rear brakes in the 'on' position. If your bearings were seized you would definitely hear or feel something, i.e. a grinding noise in the rear wheels. And if your brakes were seized, your car would only move with great difficulty. If they had been removed and packed with new grease then they should be lasting longer then they did. Go back to the shop and ask for an explanation. And as for the cylinders, I agree with the above posters...there's no reason for a wheel cylinder to need replacing that often. It is part of your brake system and if it was leaking your brakes would lose fluid, resulting in a spongy feel on your pedal. In other words, the answer to your question is YES you would know something was wrong if these things were actual problems and the diagnosis you've been getting does sound fishy.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio 5-speed
110 Posts
dude, this was from April...
although, i (among others) do prefer when someone begins a post, they come up with an ending/resolution to their situations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts