Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some problems with my Kia, thought I'd post them here to see if anyone else was having similar problems.

Purchased a 2002 Kia Rio from a 2nd hand dealer here in town about 2 years ago. It had suffered body damage from a wreck and been repaired. Two years pass and no problems what so ever other than regular maintainance.

I recently made a 600 mile trip to south Alabamma and upon returning I noticed it was acting funny.

When stopped at a stoplight, in traffic, etc with the car in gear the RPM's now SOMETIMES idle between 750-250ish RPM, kinda like a sine wave going up and down, before eventually dropping to 0 and killing the engine.

Put it in park, start it up. I have to keep my foot on the brake, and give it gas to keep the car from dying. Removing my foot from the accellerator while stopped will result in the car dying.

SOMETIMES this happens, usually after driving at 60+mph for 20 minutes or more.

One time the check engine light came on upon the car dying, took it to a mechanic and the code retrieved from the car said something along the lines of "Transmission Torque Converter Computer Malfunctioned". The mechanic cleared the code and life was good for a month.

NOW the problem Im having is after driving 60+mph for more than 20 minutes when I decellerate to city crusing speeds my car, which is an automatic, lurches when shifting.

As I said this is a sometimes thing, meaning 1-3 times a week.

In this senariio as I slow down, as the car backs down gears, the car lurches as if I am hitting the brakes resulting in a drastic loss of speed.

I have had the engine inspected by 4 mechanics who all agree nothing is wrong with the engine. Yesterday I had the transmission inspected from two different mechanics who said it was "clean". One replaced the transmission filter, nothing more. It is not leaking any fluids either.

Anyone have any constructive ideas?

Many thanks

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It sounds like one of the symptoms that would cause the torque converter code to come up. If the computer is malfunctioning, the torque converter could be failing to unlock when you let off of the gas. The transmission is still shifting down like it's supposed to, but because the torque converter is locked, the downshifts are quite a bit more violent.

There are a few other things that can cause this code like a malfunctioning lockup solenoid or wiring problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a ton for the tip. I got an appointment with a certified transmission tech tomorrow hopefully he will tell me good news.

The only thing that bothers me is that the transmission computer code was only spit out once, about a month ago. Now when the car dies the console lights simply come on. The engine light never stays lit after restarting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts