Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here :) Looks like a great set of forums. I bought by '02 Rio new a little over 3 years ago, and it has 38,000 on it. It's been a great car for me, but unfortunately after having a flat tire fixed this morning, the shop informed me that my front pads were at about 20% and needed to be replaced soon.

Because I'd rather not spend over $140 on having this done for me, I've been reading online about brake pad replacement, and found these forums through those searched. I'm encouraged because this seems easier than or equal to some of the other work that I've done before (replacing an alternator, compressor, muffler, catalytic converter).

On these forums, I found a post by Murphwiz that sounded quite informative. Here's the relevant part:

To replace pads:
Undo 1 17mm bolt at bottom of caliper.
Swing caliper up, then slide inwards to remove.
Remove old pads
Clean area pads run on of brake dust and corrosion.
Slacken brake bleed nipple and push caliper pistons back, tighten nipple.
Carefully apply thin smear of coperease to the lugs of the new pads.
Fit pads.
Clean slider part of caliper, apply a good coat of copper ease, slide caliper back into carrier, lower to fit over pads.
Clean slider bolt removed earlier and again apply a cost of copper ease.
refit bolt.
This was for an '04 Sedona, and I'm curious as to whether or not there will be any differences? Anyone replaced their brake pads on an 02 Rio? Any advice, tips, or even step by step instructions are greatly welcomed. I'm hoping to do it tomorrow morning, before the Texas heat gets to me.

Thanks in advance!
-Jon

·
Registered
97 Posts
IDK man. I think if you've ever done brakes before, or know someone who has and can come over it should be a pretty straight forward job. Me on the other hand, I haven't done my own brakes (but i SHOULD). All's I can say is once you get the calipers off, DO NOT LET THEM HANG, put like a bucket or something underneath there so they can sit on it. That's all I know from reading a haynes manual on my Durango.

As far as other responses go, it could be a while. Definitely only do 1 side at a time so you can see how it should go back together should you run into a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went into Autozone earlier, and picked up some brake pads. Both of the employees verified that the steps I had learned online should do it, and after I called my stepdad (who taught me most of what I know about vehicles, and has done much more than I), I'm much more confident than before.

We'll see how it goes in about 10 hours :)

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio
182 Posts
lol i got my car 3 years ago and i have the same brakes the dealer had on them, make a how do i when its time for mine (i have less then 30% left).

·
Registered
97 Posts
The extremely low weight of the Rio makes the brakes last a long time. Esspecially if you put some good pads on. I had mine replaced after about 3 1/2 years. They still look really good considering the amount of city driving and crappy highway traffic this vehicle got in California. Now that I'm in michigan, they should last even longer (little city driving, mostly highway miles)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've been wondering for the last year or so when my brakes were due to need some maintenance. Like Rio_2002, I bought mine in August three years ago (whew, almost paid off!) and haven't replaced them yet. I'd say about 15k of my 38k miles are from highway driving (before I moved to Austin, I'd drive from Kansas to Austin a couple times a year).

Fun times. It's almost time to head out there and start working on it!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I'm interested in this since I've started trying to save money by doing my maintenance myself. Let us know what sort of troubles you encountered, if any.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to disagree about the pads lasting a long time. My Aunt owns a 2002 rio and I had to replace her pads at 25k not to mention that both calipers weren't operating properly and only one pad was worn while the other was almost new. I can't identify the reason but the caliper isn't sliding like it should.
Now on my own 2003 rio which has different brakes that the gen 1's did, I am at less than 19,000 miles and I just started to hear the brake scratcher making it's noise. That's a ridiculously low mileage to need to service the pads, I can't tell until I pull off the caliper but I wouldn't be supprised if my caliper isn't sliding right either, putting all the wear on one pad.
My Mother's Toyota Tacoma is at 43,000 miles and it still is on the factory pads and shoes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it rained all day yesterday, and I'm in an apartment. I didn't feel like trying to do this in the rain, so I'm going to see about doing it one of these evenings after work. Worst case scenario: I do it next weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I haven't done them yet! Arg!

I've been busy flying in and out of town for the last 3 weekends in a row. However, this weekend is free, so hopefully my luck will change and I'll get it done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately, the night before last I heard a slight grind, and I also heard that Just Brakes only charged $100. So, I took it into them, and was glad -- they had me fixed up in no time.

So, sorry everyone who wanted to hear what my experience was!

·
Registered
1 Posts
...not to mention that both calipers weren't operating properly and only one pad was worn while the other was almost new. I can't identify the reason but the caliper isn't sliding like it should.
On my 2004 I just noticed that the bump on the back of the piston side pad (inner pad) doesn't line up automatically with the grooves in the piston. There are four grooves on the piston, it can be rotated once everything is off by putting some needle nose pliers into the grooves opposing each other and rotating. I had to rotate mine so I assume it was off from the last brake job, done by "professionals".

My rear pads have worn twice now, each lasting about 40K before the squeeker hit, and I think the shop that did them the first time didn't check this. Weird part is the front brakes are still at about 40%. Lot's of highway miles so they shouldn't have gone out this quickly, but you know if you want something done right...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts