Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All :)

Been a while since I have been on this forum. I have been loving my Rio for many years and over 200,000 miles but the time has come to let it go to a family member who really likes the car and is in need.

Had to have it towed home today, for it was stuck in 3rd gear (clutch is working fine). Car rolls when clutch pedal is pressed. After crawling under the car checking the shift rod (outside the transmission) and then finding a parts diagram online has pretty much confirmed my suspicions that something has become disconnected inside the transmission. Gear shifter feels like it is connected to nothing.

Most likely the bolt sheared that attaches the change rod to the change arm (what they call it on the diagram) inside the trans.

I need to pull the trans and open the case to further trouble shoot and repair. I of course can not find bolt torque specs or instructions.

I have done some sleuthing and remember the 1.5L engine (Mazda) was roughly the same as the bathtub Mercury Capris that were brought in from Australia. Wikipedia states that the Capri was based on the Mazda 323 mechanics. Sooo... I am thinking that the manual trans is quite possibly also based on the Mazda 323. Online pics look similar although the 323 trans I found had a hydraulic clutch. Probably some other differences as well, but I would think the torque specs would be similar.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have found Mitchells books at the big city library that have disassembly of transmissions. Look for it. Manual transmissions HAVE TO BE TAKEN APART IN ORDER. Dont try just taking parts off and hoping for the best. It WONT work.

Once inside you can find what failed, or you can just get a junkyard trans and save yourself the headache.

-SP

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will check into the Mitchells Manuals. They were exceptional and if they have this trans that would be great. :) I am not in a big rush to get this fixed as I have other vehicles I can rely on. When you do not know what you are doing I always find it best to take your time. I have rebuilt a couple of automatics... successfully. Should be able to figure this out. And there are a lot of manual trans out there. For various reasons. Mostly I am sure because some people did think about changing their timing belts. Thanks Again :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is a long shot since this is a old thread, but I have the exact same problem with my 2002 rio 5 speed manual trans. The bolt inside the trans that screws into the shift change rod has busted off inside the trans and that requires the trans to be removed and dissembled to changed the bolt. (my trans is stuck in 4th gear and the shifter feels like a mop handle in a bucket of oat meal, like its hooked to nothing).
My question is how difficult is the disassembly of the trans to get at this part?
I've removed and changed a lot of transmissions but have never disassembled one and I'm afraid of all shorts of parts falling out when I separate the cases..........shame its a $2 part, but a whole lot of work to change it.
Riowrangler if your still around just wonder how it came out?

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
tinman
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing