Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 blew top off radiator and overheated. Replaced radiator and started up after i held pedal to floor. Then it puffed white smoke and a 8 inch crack opened on drivers side of block. Soooo i got a wrecked 98 and pulled engine. The harness from intake with injectors and temp plugs did not match up. So i unplugged each injector and swapped harrness. I niticed that 2001 engine has 2 orange 2 greeh injectors and plugs. 98 engine in 2001 chassis seems to miss at low rpms and catyitic very hot l... though engins runs cool. And wqter drips from tail pipe. No smoke or smell. I let run for 45 min. And had no water loss. And temp gauge never reached halfway. Thougu electric fan did come on.

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
Did you use the 2001 injectors and harness ? I would put in a new temp sensor. If the cat is glowing hot , its probably running too lean and I would no run it until someone can help you . You need to see the info on a data scanner that will give you some direction and there are some good mechanics on this site that can help but I'm not good on the diagnostic info..

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,692 Posts
Actually, if the CAT is running HOT, that indicates a RICH condition.... It will melt the honeycomb...

You should not mix the electronics from different yrs and models (unless common Pn), the 200X ECU will not be happy with the 1997 injectors.... or sensor for that matter.... Philip

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 4x4 , 1998 Saturn SC2
65 Posts
Your right, I was thinking old school running lean was hot, forgot the cat is burning the unburnt fuel like an incenerator, my bad, sorry for the confusion....the 2001 injectors must be a little bigger allowing more fuel without the 1999 ECU knowing and adj for it....

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
I swapped a 2000 into a 1996. But, I used the 1996 intake, exhaust, and emission set up. Just bolted up the intake, injectors, crossover, and exhaust manifold, along with the 1996 wiring harness and flywheel (2000 was an automatic).
It fired right up (within 1 sec) and runs better than the 96 motor ever did.

ANY 1st Gen Sportage DOHC Longblock can go into ANY 1st Gen Sportage. Just use your cars intake, wiring harness, exhaust, and emission gear.
While it's out, make sure you change the water pump, tension and idler pulleys and timing belt.
UPYOURKIA:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts