Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Sportage is not getting gas to the fuel injectors. I replaced the fuel pump and relay and verified that the new fuel pump is working. I checked the fuel lines toward the back of the car and no fuel is reaching there or the engine.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Greetings,

If electrical is ok (pump is operating at Start), confirm that the fuel hoses that connect from the lines at the frame rail are not crossed, e.g.: forward line should go to fuel pump port closest to front of vehicle,

If unsure, with engine off / key out, hookup a jumper between the (2) end terminals on the top row of the Diagnostic port mounted next to the MAF in the engine compartment, this should jumper the fuel pump directly regardless of state of fuel pump relay or fuse in system.. Turn on ignition key for several (5-10) seconds, you should hear the fuel pump operate / the fuel system s/b pressurized..

--
If you disconnected the fuel lines at the front frame area of vehicle during the repair, post back, those should also be checked to make sure they are not crossed/switched incorrectly.. (I'd have to go check to see what the sequence is on the '00 Sporty here)

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
im having the same prob., i just replaced the pump and relays because it was hard starting and now it is doing the same thing. i can eventually get it going but it will try to stall when given any gas after it warms up. it is still hard starting and it has NO pwr. it wont restart after warm up

could the fuel pressure regulator be bad and so it isnt getting the pressure it needs?

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
im having the same prob., i just replaced the pump and relays because it was hard starting and now it is doing the same thing. i can eventually get it going but it will try to stall when given any gas after it warms up. it is still hard starting and it has NO pwr. it wont restart after warm up

could the fuel pressure regulator be bad and so it isnt getting the pressure it needs?
Did you just decide it was the fuel pump causing the hard starting or did you verify low/no fuel pressure?

Not restarting after warmup could be that a fuel trim component is bad and it won't run in closed loop.

If you didn't verify fuel pressure problems before replacing the pump it could be something as simple as spark plugs/vacuum leak.

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
the fuel system is good, i tested everything last night. im working on spark.
i just tested the coils as the kgis said and it is suppose to be .55-.60 ohm but im geting 0 ohms on the ones in the car and the ones i got from a junker. can anyone tell me if they r still good?

·
Registered
2 Posts
same problem on my 2001 sportage replace the fuel pump.relay,and filter. getting fuel to fuel rack.. i have spark it yellow in color.will run with gas spray in thottle body.. thinking injectors

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
The solution is simple, stop guessing and throwing parts at it..

Get down and dirty, do the diagnostics first...

Is the engine viable (static timing)?

What are your compression numbers??

Do you have fuel to spec (flow and pressure)?

Do you have spark, hot and timed??

What codes are you displaying...??

... Philip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts