Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help. I am working on a '01 Sportage,2WD, Automatic Trans, which belongs to my daughter in law. Initially the car stalled while leaving a stop light and has not run properly ever since. It will crank,but it takes quite a while to start, then it runs very rough, and will not accelerate,in fact it will die if the accelerator is used at all. The ECU is not storing or displaying any codes..The engine "will" accelerate if the throttle is advanced very very slowly( using the throttle stop screw). I have checked the coils,plugs,injectors,fuel pressure,pump and regulator. I have replaced the Cam Position Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor,Mass Airflow Sensor,Engine Temp. Sensor, and the ECU. Nothing has helped. This is becoming very frustrating, as well as expensive! Would I have these symptoms if the engine jumped time? How does one check this(after exposing the timing belt of course)? None of the components thay were changed actually tested faulty,and the ECU was changed on the recommendation of a shop which ran a scan on the computer. Also I have been told that the ECU is not programmed as delivered,and must be "spiked" or set up. I find this hard to believe. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I suspect a clogged cat convertor. The Sportage has two of them. One bolted to the exhaust manifold and another under the driver. The one bolted to the manifold has proven to be a common problem. Disconnect it at the exhuast manifold and see if the engine will now rev.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply AxeMan . I have tried disconnecting the manifold mounted Cat with no change to the problem. Thanks .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To whom it may concern........I Removed the timing cover and found that the timing had jumped about 6 teeth. Replaced the belt and reinstated the correct timing. The car is running good now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts