Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Ken. New to this site, hope I can get some help. My wife has a 2001 Sephia. For some reason it's loosing antifreeze, then runs hot. I can't find any leaks, no puddles under the car. This occures about every two or three months.
I'm thinking the thermostat my be bad, but why am I losing antifreeze?
Iwould like to know where the thermostat is located so I can replace it.

HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
2001 Sephia Termostat

Okay...when you pop the hood and standing in front of the car, put your hand on the black cover that says "DOHC." Follow it all the way to your right. A few inches below the right edge, you will see a black hose about as big around as a can of shaving cream. This hose will be plugged into a diamond shaped thing bolted to the engine block. That diamond shaped thingy is your thermostat. I believe that it's held on by two bolts. Disconnect the black hose via the spring clip and unbolt the thermostat housing from the engine, remove thermostat. Install new thermostat seal and thermostat reinstall in reverse order. You will need some anti-freeze to replace spilled losses. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
1,252 Posts
how would you be loosing antifreeze because of a bad thermostat? the cooling system is pretty much sealed so the only thing a bad thermostat is gonna do is either stick closed or stick open. stuck open would cause the engine too run too cool and this doesn't hesitate to throw a P0128 code. stuck closed would cause the engine to overheat and most likely blow a head gasket, warp the head, or just shoot coolant out of the reservoir. if you're not finding any coolant leaking on the ground, the floor boards aren't wet, or you don't have milky looking oil in the crankcase, chances are the engine is burning it. this would cause white smoke. coolant can't just disappear, it has to go somewhere.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sephia, 1992 Saturn SC, 1991 Saturn SC
86 Posts
Like Kiaracer said, the coolant has to go somewhere either on the ground, the oil, or being burnt off in a cylinder thus seeming to disappear.

1. check the oil for a chocolate milk look (coolant+oil=chocolate milk)

2. next run a compression check on all cylinders and inspect each spark plug

After you run those tests get back with us and we should be able to help from there.

Slydog :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just for clarification...

Hey, just for clarification, I'm aware of the fact a bad termo. would not be causing his leak, unless it was physically leaking out of the thermostat. I was simply answering his/her question as to where the thermostat is located. That was the question at the end of the paragraph.:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts