Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sephia, 2006 Hyundai Sonota, Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,maybe someone can point me in a direction of what to look for Other than getting a new transmission. I drove the car to work, parked it as usual then when i went to leave it would not move in any gear. There was no hesitation or slippage on my way to work. So, naturally I checked the fluid level and it was fine and there was no odor as if the fluid was burnt, then I checked the linkage (even though I knew that The Neutral Safety Switch would have eliminated that as the problem) and then I checked to make sure it didn't throw an axle, which it didn't. So, as of right now I am at a loss. I don't believe it blew the front pump. It is moving oil up the dip-stick. Obviously it has to be something going on internally.

What other component might cause this issue? If anyone can point me in some direction, it would really be appreciated.

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
01 Sephia, 12 300C, 69 Camaro, 85 Camaro, 99 F350SD, 01 E320 4Matic, 89 Bronco
17 Posts
Are you sure your clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder are operating properly?

I parked my 01 sephia to do an engine swap, and wound up having to replace the clutch master cylinder. It just went away in the short time it was sitting there... like yours it had worked perfectly.

I'd have someone make sure that when the clutch pedal was being pushed in, that the slave cylinder rod was extending fully and the clutch release fork actually moves. That's where I'd start.

When the car is off, can you shift the gear shift?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
It's an auto transmission by the sound of it; Neutral Safety Switch and Moving oil up the dip-stick indicate this.

Possibly a transmission control reset would be the first thing to try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you AriSephia, but the car is an automatic. I Really wish it was a stick! It would be So much eaiser...I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Wry 'Cuda for your suggestion but how do I go about doing that? Is it EMC controlled?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Ok,maybe someone can point me in a direction of what to look for Other than getting a new transmission. I drove the car to work, parked it as usual then when i went to leave it would not move in any gear.

What other component might cause this issue? If anyone can point me in some direction, it would really be appreciated.

Thanks Much!
Greetings,

From the kiatechinfo.com website for the 2001 Sephia:

The torque converter clutch will not operate in following conditions:

1) The engine coolant temperature is below 144°F (62°C).
2) The closed throttle position switch is ON.
3) The brake switch is ON.

The transaxle fluid temperature is over 262°F (128°C) the torqueconverter clutch will operate is 3rd gear and 4th gear.

--
As a starting point, would recommend checking all fuses in the engine and passenger cabin fuse boxes, using a digital multimeter w/ continuity test function,

Checking the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor connector,
Checking the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) connector..

--
Has anything happened in the passenger cabin recently that may be affecting the wiring inside the trans selector assembly? (Spilled coffee / soda, etc.) ... If so, would recommend removing the trans selector cover and inspecting the connections inside,

--
The (brake light) circuit being energized preventing the torque converter clutch from operating (from above) is interesting: would make sure the brake lights are working as expected,

--
On our old Honda civic, we had a CV axle replaced, the replacement was not fully engaged into / separated from the transmission housing (clip failed), the transmission would not engage in any gear: it appeared to have 'died' ... If the CV axles are suspect, this may be an area to check out also.

The transmission in your Sephia is primarily electronic controlled, through the TCM module (similar/same setup as the Sporty) - I would be Q/A'ing the electrical side of things first.. This is assuming the trans is in good physical condition / that the fluid level is good.

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
You do a TCM reset by disconnecting the battery and pressing the brake pedal to dissipate any stray capacitative voltage (brake light circuit is always live).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts