Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on the other day, I know my manifold has been bad for about 6 months so we replaced the manifold. The light is still on and now my car is idling really low and it's shaking when I'm stopped. It's accelarting really slowly, it doesn't have a lot of power and it's cutting out a little. We replaced the spark plugs, air filter, added some fuel injection additive and something that gets mouisture out of the gas and nothing has improved. We replaced the little valve that come out of the top of the engine ( I can't remember what it's called ). We ar attempting to replace the fuel filter but my dad broke the clamps in the fuel line so now he's replacing the fuel line. I hope the fuel filter fixes the problem but I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions. Thanks!!

Updated- We got the fuel filter changed and now the power is back but it's still cutting out, idling low when I'm stopped and it's a little skaky. The check engine light is still on. My dad thinks we should change the plug wires next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by AmieMichelle@Oct 17 2004, 03:09 PM
My check engine light came on the other day, I know my manifold has been bad for about 6 months so we replaced the manifold. The light is still on and now my car is idling really low and it's shaking when I'm stopped. It's accelarting really slowly, it doesn't have a lot of power and it's cutting out a little. We replaced the spark plugs, air filter, added some fuel injection additive and something that gets mouisture out of the gas and nothing has improved. We replaced the little valve that come out of the top of the engine ( I can't remember what it's called ). We ar attempting to replace the fuel filter but my dad broke the clamps in the fuel line so now he's replacing the fuel line. I hope the fuel filter fixes the problem but I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions. Thanks!!

Updated- We got the fuel filter changed and now the power is back but it's still cutting out, idling low when I'm stopped and it's a little skaky. The check engine light is still on. My dad thinks we should change the plug wires next.
First thing, you should go get the codes read at a shop or if you have an Autozone near by they will do it for free. Otherwise you will be replacing things needlessly. More than likely the cause will be a sensor gone bad. Also a good item to have if your car is '96 or newer is an OBD II reader (that's what is used to read the codes) they can cost as little as $40 and are well worth the investment. I personally have the DriveRight CarChip E/X, it plugs into the OBD II port and takes a reading every 5 seconds of parameters you can set. Thing like engine temp, speed, braking g's, etc. I got it off ebay for $100.
Hope this helps.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
Originally posted by 94-Cali-Kia@Nov 5 2004, 12:16 PM
First thing, you should go get the codes read at a shop or if you have an Autozone near by they will do it for free. Otherwise you will be replacing things needlessly. More than likely the cause will be a sensor gone bad. Also a good item to have if your car is '96 or newer is an OBD II reader (that's what is used to read the codes) they can cost as little as $40 and are well worth the investment. I personally have the DriveRight CarChip E/X, it plugs into the OBD II port and takes a reading every 5 seconds of parameters you can set. Thing like engine temp, speed, braking g's, etc. I got it off ebay for $100.
Hope this helps.

Ed
i noticed when you listed things you replaced you didnt mention plug wires. Im betting that is the problem. is the cel blinking?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by 1fastkia@Nov 30 2004, 11:07 AM
the cel blinking?
What is a cel fastkia?

Since the check engine light is flashing, get it check like CaliKia said, unless you want to have all new parts on your car for no reason. I would think it is the plugs missfireing. Could be the plugs themselfs, or wires/coils.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia
3 Posts
i had a similar problem when you have your hood up do you hear a buzzing? idle speed actuator went bad on mine thats what ihad

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey check to make sure the plug wires are right, from the coils to the spark plugs if you had them off. kinda easy to mess them up if you are in a hurry, i did that, kinda does the same thing.. whoops... anyways, either that or maybe you have a vacuum line crossed or off, or maybe a pinhole in it.. double check them, im guessing the valve you replaced is the egr, did you install the gasket in it? ....
if you want the check engine light off, disconnect the battery for 10 min or longer then hook it back up, might reset it for a bit, if it comes back on again there might be something wrong, jus a couple quick pointers, hope u get it fixed... lata

1 - 8 of 8 Posts