Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a "salvaged" title 2001 Kia Sephia from a friend that rebuilds cars today!

On the way home (which is a 3 hour drive by the way), I stopped at the store and when going trying to leave the store, I couldnt get it out of PARK! I had to override it with a screwdriver...

Is that just a fluke? Is that common with these cars?

My friend told me that he had never had that happen with one of these cars, but I guess its not TOTALLY uncommon, or Kia (or any other car manufacturer for that reason) would put step by step instructions on how to fix the problem in the owners manual...

Thanks for any input!

By the way, so far, I LOVE this little car...Once again, I may get great gas mileage! lol...

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is a switch that prevents moving out of park unless you are holding the brakes down, this might be defectivr. Also open the conule and clean under it around the tranny the switch might be there, some people pour soda/coffee by mistake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea mine had this problem.. i bought a new switch and ended up bypassing it all together... when you see the set-up under the console it will all make sence

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
there is a little cap where the shifter is. Take if off. then stick a flat head screw driver in there. There a button of sorts and this is the override.. if that dont work you gots problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts