Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried everything that I can think of on this car...

I have spark at the plugs
I have fuel and the pressure is at about 45psi

The car just died at a stop light one night, like it ran out of gas.
I have changed all of the coil plugs, the plugs, injectors and fuel pump.

After reading allot on the Internet, it seems as though it could be the ECM.
but I really don't know if I get another one from the salvage yard, if I need to have it reprogrammed or if it will work in my car right out of the salvage yard.

the car turns over fine, just never starts.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
What's the mileage on the car?
When was the last time the timing belt was changed? If the belt looses teeth the timing will change... Check the timing marks on the crank and cam pulleys to make sure they are correct...
The timing belt needs to be replaced every 5yrs/60k miles per KIA.
ECMs usually are NOT the problem...
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are NO codes currently, last one that were in there and were cleared were P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304

All misfires, but that is when I changed the plugs, coils and wires
Still had ramdoms after that.
But now it will not start at all, I do have spark and power to all components

Car has about 100K on it now and I'm not sure that the belt has been changed (bought it used and seller didn't know if it had either)

Weather is kind of crappy here in Denver right now, when it's a bit better I will check the timing... can I just do it with a timing light? or should I pull #1 plug, hit DTC and check the marks that way?

When the car died, the girlfriend told me that it felt as though it ran out of gas, hence the reason I started with the fuel pump (brand new now) and changed the fuel filter.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,925 Posts
Pull the covers off the top and bottom of the timing belt and manually turn the engine (clockwise) to align the crank timing mark then look at the cam(s) mark(s).. I have a 06 Spectra and I have only one cam pulley.. The intake and exhaust cams are driven by a chain on the back side. The Sephia may have two cams. (both being driven by the TB).

The 01 Sephia also is not an "interference" type engine so "if" the TB broke or slipped (lost teeth) it would feel like it was looking gas just before it stopped running..My 08 Ford Contour had the same symptoms when the belt went (twice)
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only 16 teeth missing from the timing belt in one area... but it should still run - right? LOL... I think that I have found my problem... after 100,000 miles and not changing the timing belt, I suppose that it did more than was asked of it.

Thanks for the help!!
You can close this one out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts