Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Sephia
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 sephia heat/A/C stopped working. took apart dash, blower motor tested bad. while replacing it with a new one, i discovered that the connector below the radio is melted (see photo). fuse is fine.. i believe that might be what blew the motor in the first place. i don't want to finish installing and blow this one too. any advice? thanks!

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,847 Posts
Sadly, the most common cause to this, is a mix between thin wires (which work hotter than thick ones under load), Small / Thin connectors and prolonged use of the device powered in Hi (High current draw), and finally, weak plastics designed (by USA requirements) to crumble after ten years + of use, to be biodegradable.

What I've done, is to cut the weak connectors, and swap there a Male / Female that I obtain at at Junk Yard, out from another, bigger car, such like a Ford F-150, with thicker wires, and weld each wire with my soldering gun, isolate each one individually with rubber splice tape, and finally all the isolated weldings with black electrical tape.

I do this on each failing terminal of Male / Female connectors, as they fail, one by one...

Firstly failed the ones of each electric fan on the engine bay, but since the connectors' Swap, no issues at all.

Kind Regards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts